Scented Geranium Swap, PT 2 (Pelargonium)

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

PLEASE NOTE: NEW DUE DATE FOR SWAP - AUGUST 30TH. READ POSTS BELOW FOR EXPLANATION...

Needed to move over to a new thread, due to slow loading for our dial-up swappers.

Here's the link to the original thread if anyone needs it... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/512482/

This is a continuation of the on-going SG swap that we have underway. We still have room for anyone who wants to join in... c'mon in, the water's fine...

Participants:
1. BassetMom
2. Critterologist
3. Jjutz
4. bluespiral
5. Kathy_Ann
6. mysticwill
7. Julie64
8. TracyRae
9. sevensisters
10. princess?
11. Naien
12. GarityAnn

Anyone else?

Barb

This message was edited Jun 8, 2005 8:34 AM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 2:55 PM

This message was edited Jun 14, 2005 9:10 PM

This message was edited Jun 26, 2005 10:31 PM

This message was edited Jun 28, 2005 12:19 PM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

A review of the swap...

If you have plants but do not know how to root them, cuttings can be sent to Critterologist by June 15 (see details below). If you have cuttings or plants to offer but would prefer other plants in trade, please post your wish list here and we will do our best to accommodate you. The swap will proceed as follows:

Number of participants? 10
Send all rooted SGs to me by the week of July 30 (I’m in the exchange), send all cuttings in need of rooting to Critterologoist by June 15. Let her know if you need instructions on how to send cuttings.
Use delivery confirmation for all shipments and post here when shipping.
All plants/cuttings should include a marker with plant name and DG name (one marker for every plant sent)
Every participant must send enough loose postage to cover return shipment (extra will be returned).
Every participant must send a return shipping label with plants.
Every participant should post list of what they are currently rooting (or sending to Critter) and keep us updated on how things are progressing and any problems encountered. Let’s work together for the success of the swap and the fun of it!
Each participant should post a final list of what is being sent (quantity and description) before shipment to me the week of July 30. Please also post your wish list. I will do all I can to accommodate everyone. Please remember, this is a swap and some cuttings or plants may not make it. It is my hope you will receive a one to one return on your investment, if not the exact list you desire, but many factors will decide this at a later date. In general, the more you send the more you will receive. Please… be gentle with me!
When all plants are received and inspected, I will post a final list of what everyone will be receiving and the date of shipment to participants (with delivery confirmation).
Every participant should post upon receiving plants.

Please post all questions, ideas or concerns here, so we may all benefit from the asking.

Barb

This message was edited Jun 8, 2005 8:32 AM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Got my new SGs today. They had to substitute some and some are smaller than I'd hoped (great roots though so I'll have lovelies in a short time) but I should be able to get some cuttings off each of them...

Lime
Variegated Nutmeg
Hansen's Wild Spice
Dr. Livingstone
Lavender Lad
Lillian Pottinger
Cinnamon
Fair Ellen
Old Spice
Cody's

I'll start cuttings from these tomorrow, as well as some additional ones from my first plants. Too hot to got outside tonight, so my office will smell *heavenly* all evening.... ahhhhhhhhh... The BassetDaughter has already claimed the "Fair Ellen" as her own (given its her namesake), though she has deemed you all worthy of cuttings. She has her eye on "Lavender Lad" too because it came with flowers and she loves to eat the SG flowers...

Barb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What do the 'Lillian Pottinger' and 'Fair Ellen' SGs smell/look like?

Tell the BassetDaughter I'm going outside right now to eat a flower off my 'Cody's Nutmeg'.... why did it not ever before occur to me to try the flowers?? Cool.

Hey, I'm pretty sure all our swap participants are rooting their own cuttings to send next month, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anybody that wanted me to root cuttings for them. If anyone wants to jump in with unrooted cuttings, it should be soon, so I have plenty of time to encourage them to strike roots.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You got some good ones, I don't really like it when they substitute on my orders, I always get ones I have LOL. I have to tell them no substitutions. as I did for the mints I ordered.

I guess I posted too soo with my wants, will have to wait till the end I guess. when everybody posts their haves and wants. if you all keep adding your haves here I'm gonna have to keep adding my wants LOL.

you must have done good to be able to get cuttings off your new ones, none of mine were really big enough to take cuttings off of, but I 'll get my papa genos order on the 9th so we'll see abou tthem.

I can't remember, dreding going back to that first post, cause it takes so long to load, LOL when is the swap over , or when are we suppose to send in our cuttings?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BassetMom, maybe it would be a good idea to post the swap dates, rules, etc again in your "reserved" space at the top of the thread. Thanks!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Okay, brought over the rules and the participants. Sorry 'bout that... my brain is on overload due to issues here at home.

Fair Ellen smells lightly floral to me. Lillian Pottinger is, to me, floral with a hint of citrus. Kathy, would you agree?

I was outside at 6:30 am gathering spent roses for future potpourri and it was already so humid I couldn't stand it! Heat exacerbates MS and Jersey is so humid along with it, I live for the A/C in the summer.

On the other hand, most of my SGs are in bloom (the ones that do) and my gourd plants all have blossoms and my mini roses are lovely. So, who can complain?

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

not sure barb on those two, I don't have them LOL, but you know, i'm a bad sucker for citrus things, Ijust love those lemon scented varieties, and other fruit scented ones.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

As for the subs, Kathy, I gave them a list of what I wanted, if they didn't have my first choices. I've learned as you have that otherwise you get the common ones as subs. And, they seemed to appreciate my telling them upfront. Saved them a phone call or a complaint later, I guess...

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yes, that is a good idea,

Southern, United States

Is it too late for me to join? I ordered some SG's from Papa Geno's last week and they are shipping on the 13th. Is that enough time for me to root some cuttings? I'm really new to this, but would like to participate. I'm not sure what varieties I'll be getting, I ordered the 10 plant fragrance assortment so I don't know if I'll just be getting what everyone else already has. I did order Camphor Rose separately. If it's too late that's ok I understand. Thanks. Fran

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'll let bassetmom answer ya. But It doesn't take long to root geraniums, I think you'll have a little over a month after you get them to root them. that should be more than enough time to root some, and you'll have plenty of help from us here on how to root them.

I am going to recieve my papa genos geraniums tomorrow i'll post a pic of the geraniums so you all can get an idea of how big yours will be when they come in. keeping fingers crossed that they are gong to be big enough.

kathy

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I was scheduled to get my Papas order today so Im not sure if they are coming through the post office or not...I didnt get them with my mail....also not sure if Im going to haev cuttings ready for the swap since iM leaving Sat morning..ive got some rooting but some arent big enough to root any branches yet...I guess I just wont get as many scenteds from this..boo hoo...this vacaiton is cromping my style..also Kathy Ann...quess what i got in the mail today?..I got my peaches and cream brug I ordered from ebay..its very nice looking and Im so glad one of the dg people contacted me to look on ebay at this particular auction....Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hum, wonder who that person was LOL. so glad you got it before you went on your vacation, I wouldn't have been as brave as you LOL.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Well Im hoping my neighbor is very attentive to all my brugs and my daughter watches the scenteds in the greenhouse area...actually Im just wishing it rains the whole time Im gone and nature takes care of all my plants..my duaghter will be given step by step instructions on not water too much or not enough....grrrrrr...Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

well, sad news yall, I got my papa genos order in today, the plants are tiny, way too tiny to do any kind of cuttings on them, so if anybody was planning on doing cuttings of their papa genos scenteds, they probably won't be able to, they replaced the clove with a sub I already had, sent me cody's nutmeg for golden nutmeg, and I know they are two diff geraniums, so I don't know if they'll refund for the 2 geraniums they messed up on or not. Iknow my hobbs order was twice as nice as the papa genos order. I did send them an email

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh yes, they did something else a little strange, they sent me frensham and lemon mereign but their the same plant, identical, they even had the same tags, but one had frensham cut off and the y wrote lemon Mer on the back of that tag, they sent me 2 cody's nutmegs, go figure. Hope I get it straightned out with them. not sure if im gonna be doing any more ordering from them

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

My order from Papas came yesterday late and Im not impressed with them either...I see they chopped the tops off alot of them so maybe they are getting some nice cuttings before they send them out...the pots are small so Im not getting any cuttings off these either...I did get everything I ordered though..I was sure I was going to have trouble since the price was so low and some really nice scenteds Ive never had before..Oh well...Judy

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

What a shame! My order isn't supposed to come until next week...I'll let you know. Maybe the "rush" of orders from DGers put them over the edge...!

I have noticed reference to Hobbs a couple of times...did a google, but didn't find it...what is the site, please?

Tracy

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Princess, if you have large enough plants to take cuttings, we'd love to have you. If not, hang out here with us anyway...

I set up about 28 more cuttings today from my new plants. Some from each, so hopefully they'll all take. I wasn't going to do it today because its so @#$%! humid but my wonderful, darling, sweet, thoughtful, kind husband schlepped outside and got everything I needed and then I set up the cuttings inside, where my trays of seeds are sprouting. What a guy...

He even drove to Philly to pick up new batteries for my wheelchair this morning. Now, I'm back to zipping around like a madwoman...

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

HOly moly, you 've got a winner there barb, wishing here, LOL, mine is very helpful, but there's somethings he does't even go near or want to LOL

www.hobbsfarm.com

I got a refund for the 3 geranums from papagenos, they appologized for the double and the one that was the same, they said it was the end of the season, and plants run out faster than they can keep up with so theyoften send doubles as replacements, but that cuttingoff the tag and renaming it was downright nasty LOL, I guess they thought i'd not notice it.

Ok, i'm going to take some pineapple mint cuttings now to root for some lovely lady LOL, I think theyll do better than pulling up from the roots, cause their so long and leggy.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Hmmmm.... I'll remember this when I sort the swap...

Barb - if all this goes well, we should do a mint swap from our orders from FF!

Southern, United States

Thanks BassetMom, I'm going to see if I can find any SG's locally this weekend. I've looked 3 places so far and haven't seen any, but I'm going to keep trying. I was sorry to hear about everyone's papa's plants being so small.....what a disappointment. Maybe we could have another swap next year when everyone has big bushy plants! Then we could all go wild with our this year summer purchases!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

An Annual SG Swap, now there's an idea!

BY the way, my "Cody's" is not a nutmeg. It's 'Apple Cider'... I saw 'Cody's' on the tag but didn't pull the tag out all the way. I had ordered 'Apple Cider' and got myself all confused when it arrived (not difficult too do these days). I did notice that it didn't smell the least bit like nutmeg... Ah, well, live and learn to open the package and read the label...

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

cool. that sounds like a neat one,

kathy

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Princess, let me know if you want in officially. Hang out here anyway. We love to talk SGs!

Now, back to the coleus forum. I think I'm in love (and my husband is just rolling his eyes at all the lovely cuttings I got today...)

Barb

Soquel, CA(Zone 9a)

i want to join: all i have is rose geranium but i'm happy to root several...and see how many take.
lmk if my measly contribution is enough to 'qualify' me LOL

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I'm bad.... bad...bad... bad.... LOL!! I was at a farmer's market stand today and I just HAD to pick up another one. It is a large leafed varigated Nutmeg ---HOWEVER--- It doen't smell like a nutmeg to me at all -- smells much more like lemon or citronella - in any case it is pretty I will post a pic later tonight (batteries are recharging).... I got a really tall one so I should be able to get a few cuttings off of it.

Heather

Oh - and so far one Prince Rupert didn't make it...:-(

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 12:34 PM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

sevensisters, jump right in. One set of SG cuttings is fine. Root what you can. Check the rules up top. My addie is in the xchange for sending the rooted cuttings to me by 7/30.

Barb

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Heather, it is never BAD to buy another one! Can you ever have too many?

Barb

Southern, United States

I have bad news. My search this weekend turned up only lemon and a chocolate that didn't have any scent. I wanted to get something that would be worthwhile for the other swappers, but since most or all have lemon it doesn't seem fair. Unless my plants from papa geno's turn out really well then I guess I have to sit this one out and wait until next years swap.......there will be one next year won't there?!? I hope, I hope....:)

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

It seems inevitable, Princess. In the meantime, when my plants recover from their latest round of snipping, maybe you and I can work out a trade of SG cuttings for something else you have.

Barb

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Let's welcome Naien. She's got a Dr. Livingstone and she's got the bug!

Barb

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I have 7 P. radens 'Dr. Livingston,' rose SG cuttings that i took tonight. anyone interested?

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Probably easier to ask who isn't interested! ;0)

Barb

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

BTW, Kathy_ann, my "unnamed" lemon is looking a bit variegated. Quite lovely, actually. It seems to be getting more so each day. Any ideas on which name it might be?

(since you are the resident expert)

Barb

Basset - Pelargonium crispum 'Variegatum' is a popular var. lemon scented cultivar.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Is that different than the one listed as Lemon Crispum? 'Cause I have that one and they look nothing alike... So, this would be Var. Lemon Crispum?

See, good thing you joined us here...

Barb

Maybe Pelargonium citrosum `Prince Rupert' ...

var. crispum: http://geraniaceae.com/pics/g252.jpg

This message was edited Jun 14, 2005 7:00 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WElcome Naien good to have ya aboard,

Barb, I'm just not sure on that lemon, could be the variegatum one that Naien is talking about, you could just call it that LOL. I think the lemon ones are my favorite of all the scented geraniums,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.