Summer's End

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It has been so long since I uploaded any pictures I will see if I can still do this right.

It has incredibly difficult to pick a favorite dahlia because there is incredible variety in color, form, style etc. But Summer's End a waterlily is indeed one of those that I find really pretty. This is a photo from last year as most of my dahlias are barely breaking the ground now.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann,
I just planted 3 of these, Summer End's.
I hope they look as nice as your picture.
I just about got all your tubers that you gave me in the ground. Have about 5 more to go. Thanks so much again!
Am looking forward to seeing them grow and see the flowers.
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Good to hear from you again, Daisyruffles. This really is a lovely one. I walked in my dahlia patch today and saw lots of them coming up. Oh I hope this crummy weather ends soon.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Me too, me too! I need to finish planting mine. Rain, rain go away.....

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It has been so hard to get a handle on weeds, the rain just keeps coming and wind today too.

Yes, it was pretty bad today.....and the weeds are terrible. Hope it is nicer this week.....it's the last week the kids are in school and I can garden in peace...LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, even tho it was raining off and on today along with the constant wind, I was outside most of the day trying to finish the drip irrigation and getting the rest of the tubers planted. My son thought I was crazy to be out there, but I am determine to get automatic watering in this year. Just about finished it.

The dahlia beds were rather difficult to figure out how to water. The foliage of the dahlias are so dense, that the sprinkler heads just hit the leaves and don't spread the water very well. I had 5/8" soaker hoses in the beds before but it didn't cover the whole area very good. Am tempting to take off the bottom leaves of some of the plants so the water can go further.

If anyone out there, has a better way to water, just let me know. My beds are 3' wide.

Carol

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

MGH,

DH said it is supposed to rain all week....RATS!

Let me know if you want me to come over and help. Maybe we can trade for you helping with my edge stones...

He He He.

Got2Bgreen,

Aaaawwwe......you said the "R" word!!! And all week? YUCK! Well sure, I'll come help.....we can get rained on together....ooops, now I said it too! When do you want to get together? Maybe I can get cutting from your Shasta Daisy? What else were you going to give me? LOL

Carol,

Hope that drip system works for you. I have tried soaker hoses too and all they did was soak one area too much and another area not enough.

Mendy

mgh,

I'm busy tomorrow and Thursday. Tuesday and Wednesday are good. My house first or yours??

C

mgh,

I meant to say you can have as many of the baby calas I have all over the place.

C

I'll email you.....don't want to take over Lenjo's thread. ;-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Appears we are getting enough people here in Oregon for a RU?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Lenjo,

Marvellous!! What a great flower!

Sounds like a good idea, Lenjo. Want to plan one together?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

During dahlia season of course, right. Maybe we could get a few extras to join in that are here in the Pacific NW or on the west coast anyway;; (that would qualify drdon and eweed too, lol)

drdon, I must admit I am not overally fond of dinnerplates but do have a few because what could I do without a few in my dahlia 'collection'. Thomas Edison and Spartacus are a couple of dps I have.

Oooooo....during dahlia season....great idea!

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I like the pink/yellow combination. I had a red/yellow last year - "Procyon" but it looks like it's not going to sprout for me this year. Sorry to lose that one.

Joan

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I had that one once, but I had a tough time getting it through. I have a little decorative called Foxy Lady that kind of fits those colors. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann & Mendy,
I can help you guys with a RU tho summer is my busy time at work with harvest and all. But can work around it all and during dahlia time would be the best time.
Joann, I love the pic of Foxy Lady. I thought I had one but the eye isn't doing anything so I haven't planted it. I should have taken one from you when you had offered.
Carol

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

We love road trips....and a RU in Oregon is a great raeson to hit the road. Keep me posted and we'll try and attend.

Marc

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, we could meet at Swan Island in Canby where they have 40 acres of dahlias and in the warehouses they have large arrangements; very professional ones. So pretty up there. I can really think of lots of places to meet. Mt. Angel has a wonderful festival in September called Oktoberfest. Great food and rather cute little town. I actually live about 4 miles east.

Swan Island and the Oktoberfest sound great to me. They aren't that far from each other are they? Do they happen at the same time?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

No, the big dahlia tours at Swan Island is in August and the Oktoberfest is in Oct. I think in August would be a better time weather wise myself. But I don't know if you want to do it just around dahlia things. I thought a RU was for all kind of plants?
Carol

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Swan is having a big Dahlia festival the week of September 3rd, 4th, and 5th (there's also a weekend in August)
http://www.dahlias.com/specialevents.html

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I was thinking you could still visit the dahlias during the weekend of Oktoberfest because they are open till frost. The big displays are only on the last weekend of August and the weekend of Labor Day. Heirloom Roses and Ferguson's Fragrant Nursery are not far from Canby. The Oregon Garden is in Silverton , 5 miles from Mt. Angel. You can visit Blumengarten too. LOL That is what I call my flower garden.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, yes, we must all visit Blumengarten!
I just visited Lenjo's garden last week and it was just BEAUTIFUL! She has done a great job with plants all around her farm.
True, you can visit the dahlias nurseries at any time of the year. I was just thinking of the big show of flowers tho, like in August.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

But Carol we could do something earlier like the Oregon Garden when all the herbaceous perenniels are in their glory. I think the admission fee is about $8. I would be willing to meet you and Mendy some Sunday.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, Joann,
That is a great idea. I would love to do that. Let's plan on a Sunday then. I need to get up to my parents in Bellingham in WA sometime this month, I hope. I finally more or less finished my drip irrigation so my son can water my yard (we will see how reliable he is tho, being 17 years old you never know!) while I am gone.
Tho I have to be here for a wedding on the 18th, so maybe the 19th? How does that sound?
Let me know.
Mendy was going to give me a Foxy Lady today when I finally stopped by with her flowers from me from you, but she ended up only having one left, which she needed to plant herself. I sure wished you weren't so far away, I would come get some more of your tubers. So you ever come to Albany? Or even to Salem?
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, I have a daughter who lives in Salem; not too terribly far from the freeway exit. I will send an extra Foxy Lady with her. Just let me know.

June 19th will not work for me, so sorry. We were asked to be padrinos for a neighbor who is getting married that Sunday at the Spanish Mass. I hope they use some English. I know nothing with regard to Spanish.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, what are you doing this Sunday, the 12th? Hope Mendy sees this.
Carol

Well, I'm glad to see you didn't plan it for the 19th......that's my wedding anniversary. Don't think my DH would understand if I told him I was gonna go out with some of my DG friends instead of him! LOL I will have to check our schedule and let you know about the 12th.

Joann, what are padrinos?

What's an RU???

A round-up.....a get together with DGers.

Don't s'pose we could do it during the week???

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

That would work most of the time for me,ok during the week. Sunday the 12th would probably be fine too.

Daisyruffles, I could bring Foxy Lady and Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

The weekends work better for most people who work during the week. But I really don't know how the RU really work so...
Let me know what time on Sunday, Lenjo. I will pay for your entrance to Oregon Gardens for payment of the wonderful dahlia tubers. Or buy you lunch that day? Mendy, can you go?
Lenjo,
Ok, I have a couple other wants from you, he he. Can you bring Blue sette, Sweet Dreams, Gold Ball, Winter Wonder (this one you talked about on a dahlia thread) too? I had written these down after I had gotten home with your wonderful tubers. Just finished planting all but a couple duplicates yesterday. Am waiting to here from several friends who might want them.
Carol

Joann and Carol, are we gonna just do a small get together at the OR Garden with just us and a few others who might want to come and then do a bigger RU later this summer? Or were you planning the get together at the OR Garden to be the RU? Got2Bgreen works weekends, so I think that is why she asked to do it during the week. My DH also works weekends so it would also be better for me to do it during the week.....unless I can get a babysitter.....but it would still have to be in the afternoon for me. Let me know what you think.

Mendy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I think we were just going to get together to go to the Oregon Gardens just us and whoever wanted to join us.
I guess I forgot your husband works weekends. I could take off from work on a Friday. Like this Friday or the next one, the 17th. I would to hate for you to get a babysitter and pay for that. But I don't know what Joann has going on. Things during the week will get much busier for me at work later this month tho, harvest time.
Carol

Well darn, Fridays are kinda out too....DH works weekend nights starting Friday, so he sleeps during the day on Fridays. I think this week is pretty much out for me as we are doing stuff all day Thursday with it being the kids last day of school and the last tee ball game of the season too. I would hate for you to have to take time off work too. Hmmmm.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.