Last of the Spring Broccoli

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

This is my last head of Early Dividend broccoli. Most of the heads 'buttoned' up on me in the earlier hot spell but the recent cool weather did get me a few good sized heads. Still getting lots of side shoots though.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

nice head red. I grew out Coronado Crown and Green Goliath this year. The coronado got off to a slow start, but headed up nicely after we got a little rain. Does not seem to be as dependable as Superdome or Pacman tho. The Green Goliath has huge plants but has not started to head yet. The coronado does seem to starting some nice side shoots.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Dill & Red, looking good.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Can you grow broccoli in a pot or would it not be worth the trouble.

Saint

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Farmer, lookin' good!

That's what I like about Early Dividend, lots of 2-3 inch side shoots. The main head doesn't get as big as other broccoli but it does grow a nice, tight head if the weather co-operates and it has great flavor. I've never tried the Superdome or the Coronardo Crown.

Saint,

I've never tried it but you probably could with a big pot, they are fairly heavy feeders and the plants get very large. You might want to try it this fall, too hot now in your area. ☺

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Danny!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Yep...it's to hot for ME here right now.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Red, Have not had "buttoning " with broccoli. Had it with cauliflower this year fro the first time in ages. Growing ou Montana, a very early cultivar. It is earlier, beat the broccoli by two weeks, but the early heads buttoned. Later heads have been pretty good but smaller than I am used to.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Does buttoned mean smaller or stunted? I looked in the terms but couldn't find it.

Saint

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A head that shows early and stops at about the size of a quarter ( 25 cent piece) Once upon a time, buttons were this size and folks saw the resemblance.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok thanks...*G* but those would be perfect size like brussel sprouts.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Farmer, I didn't put in any cauliflower this spring, I'll plant mine this fall. It never seems to do well in the spring for me, even when I was in NH. Your's sure do look like nice heads, yumm!

Here's a pic of my broccoli side shoots I picked today, I pick this many every 3 or 4 days off my dozen plants. One of the reasons I like Early Dividend. ☺

Thumbnail by Big_Red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.