CLOSED: is this bug helpful of harmful?

River Ridge, LA(Zone 9b)

Iv'e just stated seeing this bug yesterday, and i shot it with some 3-in-1 oil just in case it was harmful. Well, i just noticed it again ON THE SAME PLANT, maybe it didn't die? I'm really not sure what the plant is either, it's a weed i think, i just kind of let it live with the iris i planted. anywayz the bug has a red body with black "saddle bags" at his waist, and black legs. He also has an interesting nosey thing...

Thumbnail by callacrazy
River Ridge, LA(Zone 9b)

here's another pic of unknown bug...

Thumbnail by callacrazy
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

looks predatory to me rather than herbivore

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Looks like a young Assassin Bug. They are predatory (eat other bugs, not plants).

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Some form of Assassin Bug...they are bug eaters....grasp the victim in their forlegs and suck it dry.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

YUCK!!!!! LOL!

River Ridge, LA(Zone 9b)

so is it helpful... or should i smack it?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It's a good guy...eats the bad guys....loves aphids.

I believe it's a young Thread Legged Assassin

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I have never killed them but didn't know that they were GOOD bugs. Ya know, it would make it better if the "good guys wore white hats", wouldn't it? That way we would know which ones to kill.

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

These guys are nortorious for eating Monarch Cats so if you're growing Milkweed for the food supply......pinch them little bods between thumb and foreinger !!!!!!!!!!!

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I agree it is an assassin bug nymph, Genus Zelus. They are very good bugs, and I wouldn't smack it, but if you do, make sure you are wearing gloves because they can be aggressive when disturbed and deliver a nasty bite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.