a few BBs

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

... or rather, there *will* be a few BBs. The first and only open so far is one that's been trying to die here for years with nary a bloom until now. I am so glad all of its death attempts failed. CRANAPPLE is one gorgeous iris! As red as any iris I've seen, the falls are dressed in scrumptious burgundy velvet caped with standards of red satin, darker overall than this photo suggests. My only regret is that it took so many years to settle in and finally bloom here.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2005 7:12 AM

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That's gorgeous, Laurie! What color!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I wasn't expecting to like HEADLINE BANNER so much, but I do!!! BBs don't usually do well in my garden, but George Sutton recommended this one as his most vigorous grower, so I took a chance. As soon as this handsome fellow opened his first bloom, I was glad I did!

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow, Laurie. Now that's interesting! Are those bronze rims I see?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Indeed they are! Really adds a nice flourish to the flower.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Headline Banner is a stunner. Laurie, you really grow a diverse group of iris.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I'm afraid PERSIMMON PIE's first bloom has left me uninspired.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Here's one you can't miss in the garden. BANDED ROGUE screams for attention from across the yard.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

RED ROOSTER has great, rich red color, but his form is really funky. You can't tell by the photo I'm choosing to post, but his falls are perfectly horizontal, and his standards remain tightly held together and stiffly vertical in the center of the falls. There isn't even the hint of a dome. This one looks like a ruffly red top hat.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 12:38 AM

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

There's nothing miniscule about MINI CHAMPAGNE's beauty in the garden. I love this color combination, and the ruffles complete the package to perfection.

Thumbnail by laurief
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Laurie, I just love those irises you've posted. I think my favorite is your MINI CHAMPAGNE and it will go on the wishlist even though Midsummer's Eve has been on my wish list.

Here's my newest BB, Delightful Kid.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

An eye-popping plicata if ever I've seen one! ORINOCO FLOW just about blew me off my feet with his stark white ground accented with very narrow, dark purple rims. The contrast of colors and subtlety of the fine rims makes a statement that can not be ignored!

Thumbnail by laurief
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

love it, laurie. What are those purple ones to the right?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You mean the red? That's probably RED ZINGER (IB) or maybe RED ROOSTER (BB).

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

laurief, which one of those two has an orange beard? Looks like the one in the pic has an orange beard. Oh these are all so superiffic!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That would be RED ZINGER. I'll post a pic of it later to my IB thread if I haven't already (I'll have to go check).

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another maiden bloomer this year, CALICO KID has really fun color but very mediocre form.

Thumbnail by laurief

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.