Strange Deutzia

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I got a Deutzia Gracilis last year sometime, to match another in my garden and I swear I saw it bloom. Now, it just started blooming yesterday and it has turned into a Bridal Wreath Spirea! Am I crazy? I know I never bought a Spirea. The question is, did I buy a plant mislabeled without seeing it bloom and just assumed it was a Deutzia; or did I see it bloom, and it was grafted or something and reverted. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is a picture (I hope) of the original Deutzia:

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

And here is the "Strange Deutzia"-

Thumbnail by Ivy1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Whoops! Sorry bout the picture quality! I've never posted pictures before. Of course, it's probably the picture taker's quality!

Anyway, you can still see the difference between the type of flowers on the two plants. Any ideas?

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 6:56 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Ivy, I looked at your enlargements and I just do have difficulty seeing clearly the difference in your two shrubs. They certainly are both really nice plants. Here the some of the spireas are finished and the deutzia is in full bloom. I have a pink deutzia with variegated foliage. Quite a showy shrub actually.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I love my Deutzias! I am amazed more people don't have them. I have the white "Gracilis"; and two "Nikko"s as ground cover in another part of the garden. Your pink sounds quite lovely. I love the fact that I do absolutely nothing to them except cut them back when they are done blooming.

Sorry about the pictures, I realize now that I took them from my deck. I'm sure it was too far away. If I can get the camera to actually work-(ours continually says "Change the Batteries") I will take more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.