Zinnias Reseeding...

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

After spending the winter in a Kentucky zone 6 garden, without mulching. Ever heard of it?

TC

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Not yet.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

They reseed here in zone 7a, tc........

"eyes"

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

The reason I ask is because my Mother's reseeds and she lives in KY, zone 6. I love zinnias, especially for cutting, and have to plant from seed every spring. She also has four o' clocks that don't need dug up, and cannas.

I think it's interesting that there's such a difference between what goes on in zone 6 and what we don't get to do here in zone 5.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Uh Oh, I just planted my four o' clocks with my annuals....

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

What annuals bk76? You should be okay. 4 o' clocks make tuberous roots and are easily distinguishable if you dig them at the end of the season.

I love their fragrance. I set out a new lime green one this year. I hope it does good.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

just daisies, viola's, my hopefully self seeding zinnia's, jewel's of opar, nasturtiums, eyeball plant, who knows what else. First time around for this bed.

I hope I planted broken colors but two seed packets are open and the other is mixed colors. I will have to wait to find out! Lime green!?! Where did you get that one?

We will see you at the RU and get an update!

-Kim

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I got the lime green 4 o' clock from our Master Gardener plant sale. The foliage on this variety is one of the reasons I got it.

You mean the Mid-Atlantic RU at DGer haighr's cabin get away in Hagerstown, MD?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

That be the one! See you there.

-Kim

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Well say no more! I'll be extree nice this time. ;~)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I cannot remember ever seeing one reseed. I collect the seeds as I see them, but I usually miss some. If I did not collect seeds, I don't think I could count on seeing any the next year - perhaps the birds are keen to these seeds around here! Julie

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Julie, they sure don't reseed here at our place. Unfortunately.

I wonder if I'd let them die back, cut them to the ground and then mulch them real heavy, do ya reckon they'd come back? Couldn't hurt to try it as an experiment this winter (egads, I can't believe I'm mentioning winter already).

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Nope - even in my garden, which is against the house foundation & remains warmer than the earth all Winter - they don't come back. They jsut don't wish to live, I suppose! A good thing is that they are so easy & enjoyable to grow. I grew 'Envy' last year & was thrilled - just a perfect green color! They attract butterflies as well...

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Yes, thank the good Lord they are easy to grow. We grow 'Envy' here too and love it. Zinnias are always included in our cut flower bed along with cosmos, sunflowers ('Teddy Bear' is absolutely gorgeous, it doesn't even look like a sunflower), and all the other staples.

Here's 'Teddy Bear.'

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous 'Teddy Bear'!! I've been watching for zinnias to come up - grew them for the first time last year and loved them, now I guess I'll stop looking!! LIME GREEN 4 O'Clocks - WOW!!! I wonder if they'll smell the same!!??? I loved my yellows, then the pinks smelled even better - then the candy cane 4:00's were pretty but didn't smell as good. Let us know!! And collect those grenades - hee hee!!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll be sure to save some "grenade" for you TamTam. ;~)

Our zinnias have sprouted and it looks like we'll have another full and beautiful bed of them just like last year. They're so easy to grow, I think everyone should plant loads of them in their gardens.

Isn't the aroma of 4 o' clocks just divine? Theirs is perhaps my favorite because it always takes me back to my childhood. Mother grew them every year.

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, tc, I'm the same way about petunias, I remember my Grandma every time. I'm with you on loving the 4:00 smell too!!!!! I've only had them for a few years in my gardens - maybe my children will remember ME when they smell their 4:00's a long time from now!! :)

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

tc and tamtam,
please post those wonderful fragrant memories in my thread over on the heirloom forum.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll make it a point to go over there and "sniff" around b-girl. ;~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.