Vasates quadripedes- ewwww ick!

Thought since it is May that somebody might like to see a photo I took of a White Maple that is pretty infested by Vasates quadripedes. The maple bladdergall mite (V. quadripedes) is a native pest in eastern North America. It prefers silver maple (A. saccharinum) and red maple (A. rubrum) foliage. The globular growths start out green and then they turn this attractive brilliant red before they eventually turn black. If the leaves are really loaded with bladdergall mites, they will sometimes be deformed which isn't a big deal. The galls are actually hollow as the mite exits from the underside of the leaf. I want to try to watch this tree and see if I can get any photos of mites emerging.

Several of my neighbors were panicking because they found these galls on their maples. I showed them that I had them too and that was when I decided to take a photo. I thought the photo was really neat. If you have these mites, don't freak out.

For right now, I'm going to go with an insecticidal soap more so because these mites really do very little damage although they make one feel as if one should go out and nuke the entire tree. Whatever mites are left my Green Lacewings will devour. I've got a lot of those dainty Green Lacewings around here. I think ladybugs like to munch on the little mites too.

Early next spring before the leaf buds break, I'll zap all the bark on this tree with dormant oil because that's where the adult mites overwinter. Later on, I could hit it with a miticide but I won't as these bladdergall mites don't ever really cause damage to a tree. It's only cosmetic for all practical purposes which is why I'll probably go back to using an inseciticidal soap or just leaving them be. If you feel like using a miticide, you allegedly need to do it when the leaves are just beginning to unfurl and then I've read that you are supposed to spray the leaves again in another 10 days. The product I would go for would be Safer Insecticidal Soap but there are others.

Here's a photo I found of the galls when they are nice and green-
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/ornamentals/4-3.jpeg

Here's some more really great photos-
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/maple_gall_mite.htm

Great article here-
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2004.html

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

It could be worse. It could be an oak tree. Oak trees almost always have some type of galls, sometimes more than one kind. There are probably dozens of different kinds of oak galls, though of course to me some are very interesting in themselves.

I am really glad I am not the only one... "though of course to me some are very interesting in themselves." Truth be known, I liked the photo but I also like all the Green Lacewings that flit around and all the critters that feed on those hanging around.

Cleveland, OH

E,

I hope you have a microscope to see those mites! I'm certain you realize they are Eriophyid mites and virtually microscopic. I tell all my customers not to worry about those galls and the only galls I offer treatment for are Spruce galls (they can cause significant damage).

By the way, counted 40+ flowers or buds on the pitcher plants and Dactilorhiza is in full flower too!

BogMan, I am at about 20 flowers on the CPs but I'm somewhat behind you weather wise. Are your Minors or Leucos flowering yet? The Leucos always seem to be slow and the Minors are always last to flower for some reason.

Yes, we have several good microscopes. One is a biological that cost more than my first car and we purchased it second hand.

No way! You have Dactylorhiza! Which one, Dactylorhiza incarnata? That's probably the one you have because it's a marsh orchid. How'd you get your hands on that? Way to go BogMan!

My Calopogons, Habenaria, and my Spiranthes are shooting up but they are no where near the point where they will send up flower scapes. I'm at least a month away on that.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Would you like to see some of those gall mite growths under a microscope?
I took some pictures a while ago, the first one is not totally clear, because since I had no idea what it was, I kept the leaf at first in a glass jar, shot the pic through the glass.
The next pictures are taken through a dissecting microscope.
http://kammlott.net/Limenailgallmite.html
Enjoy,
Ursula

Good job Ursula! You got photos of the underside of the leaf where they emerge! Cool. I never have figured out how to get photos from my microscope. I can take a photo of the actual microscope but nothing that I see using it which is the pits.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thought you might like to see it.
I used my set up at work. The camera is a Nikon Cool pix 995 mounted on the sidearm of the microscope via a relay lens.

If I lsit what type of a microscope I have here as well as what type of a camera I have, would you be able to tell me what to purchase to be able to photograph what I magnify?

Cleveland, OH

Dactilorhiza praetermissa (sp?). I had a plant years ago that did very well and set lots of seed then one year vanished...guess it's progeny are back! I'll post a pic when I have a chance.

Calopogon, summer blooming spiranthes and Platantheras are just now showing spikes. S. minor and psiticina are late. S. alabamensis (shhh!) has a lot of flowers I'll be doing a bit of pollinating of those!

Those are great pics RUK. I am always getting calls about the "bugs" on my customer's plants leaves, and usually I can let them know over the phone they are gall mites and there's no need (usually) to treat them.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

bogman,
please please pictures.
Equilibrium,
I will look it up tomorrow, so I can tell you exactly what equipment one needs. I have to see where we bought the relay lens.

Thanks for all the info on the relay RUK. That is a little too much money for me right about now although I sure would like to be able to have a set up where I could take pics of what is under the scope. Some day!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

You are welcome.
Perhaps people at the Camera forum might have some good suggestions?

I have a Kodak DX6440. My husband has an Olympus of some sort. His camera is actually nicer than mine in some ways. Not all, but some. I've done some checking and I don't think this is affordable right now although I really wish it was. Bummer.

But, we have you and your set up so we still get to see the "goods" ;)

Here's a little damselfly I took a photo of yesterday. This photo represents about as close as I can get and it took me 6 shots to get one that wasn't blurred.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

How cute, what a nice picture!! Are you going to post that at the Photo forum?

Naaa, this little guy is pretty common and besides which, I've got a couple hundred photos of trees and native plants backing up to add to the PlantFiles here. I know it will sound sort of funny but I have a little system by which I add images to the database and if I get out of sequence I am all messed up. I wish I was more organized but I'm not and probably never will be. I will post another photo here if I get anything though as I'm watching this thread. If you get any more "foes" under your scope, please try to post them. I know it seems odd but I truly love looking at those types of images. They fascinate me.

Cleveland, OH

Don't know how I'm gonna shoot the Dact. but here are some of the pitcher plants in bloom.

Thumbnail by bogman
Cleveland, OH

Sorry, E, but I couldn't resist adding a pic of the Sarracenia rubra alabamensis to the mix!

Thumbnail by bogman

Oh my my my! You done good there BogMan. When can I move in? My jonesii, wheryii, and rubra ssp. rubra already bloomed. I have no idea why they did so early but they did. My alabamensis were taken in over the winter so I know why they were early. Right now my flava is starting and a few leucos are pushing forth a few flower scapes. I'm still waiting on the minor. I won't hold my breath as they always seem to be last. The minor you gave me is just now beginning to shoot up new growth. Give me another few weeks and I should be at full speed here. Amazing how a couple hundred miles can make such a difference by one entire zone. Z4-Z5 can be a little slow in getting up and running but it chugs along.

You need to add those images to the PlantFiles. You have to! They are absolutely gorgeous. Some of the best photos we would have of those speces. You just gotta share those with everyone!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bogman,
they are beautiful!!! Thanks for posting them. I have marveled at the occasional pitcher plant flower at shows, but I have never seen them like that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.