Wisteria sinensis in bloom (and how!)

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

After 2 straight weeks of awful cold, rain, and even a Nor'Easter, it looks like warm weather has finally arrived to New England. The Wisterias are in full bloom at long last. It was worth the wait!

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Are you lucky enough to own this plant? It's gorgeous - thanks for sharing.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

That is just beautiful. Lucky you!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

gorgeous

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh, it's so beautiful. I've wanted one for years!!! I'm so afraid to plant one as I hear it is very, very vigorous. Any suggestions? Thanks. Linda

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

It's worth the extra work just to have it. Mostly it's just a correct pruning and you can keep it the way you want it..The only thing as it gets older the trunk thickens, so if you keep it small the trunk is strange on a small plant..But I have a friend in Ct. and she keeps hers to one area as a tree form and it is wonderful.

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

Yes, this is actually in my yard. It's planted on the Norteast corner of my house. Wisterias can be very invasive if you let them. I have several at the farthest extent of my property where the wild woods start and because I leave these vines unattended, they have rambled over other shrubs and now shoot up to almost the top of several trees.
The Wisteria in the photo is clipped regularly to keep it the way it looks, otherwise it too would start sprawling everywhere and get out of hand.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

Here's a closer look at the actual blossoms. I like this particular Wisteria sinensis because it doesn't get it's leaves until the flowers are over. No leaves to obscure the blooms.Just tons of flowers on bare branches. I just wish you could smell the fragrance that they're sending out when you're this close to them.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

SabraKhan
Your Wisteria is looking so beautiful, last month Kim sent me small plant ... and waiting anxiousely for the blooms ... But Ursula told me for blooms you should have to wait for 10 to 12 years..... Is it true?
Kaleem

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

Kaleem, Wisteria started from SEED can take 10 to 12 years or more to bloom. Wisteria started from cuttings doesn't take as long and it can be hurried along by judicious pruning of rampant and excessive growth. Still, it may take a while before it's mature enough to bloom for you.
I have a Wisteria 'Formosa' that I started from seed and after 8 years it's almost the size of the vine in the photos. I still haven't gotten one bloom from it yet.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. It mean my grandson will enjoy the blooms?
No problem I can wait for beautiful and breath taking blooms .
Kaleem

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.