Thumbnail by rylaff
Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Me too! This is my favorite...

Thumbnail by groovytee
Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

and of course there's this one...

Thumbnail by groovytee
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Bravo. Beautifull. What is the name of that last one. I need it.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Those are so pretty. I have the regular pink 4 o'clocks. But they are special to me because I grew them from seed. Willie at the Jax RU gave me some roots/bulbs of various colored ones. I planted them but they haven't come up yet.

I didn't know they made them in so many colors.

Thanks for showing them.
Molly
:^)))

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi rylaff and groovytee!

Those 4 O'clocks are gorgeous. I planted some Kaleidoscope and only 3 sprouted so far. I always get volunteers of the solid hot pink ones every year. I'm curious what colors I'll get out of the three Kaleidoscope!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Are those"Broken colors"?
These are one of my favorites because they burst with color and never need any care!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

What is the difference between Kaleidoscope and Broken Colors.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I don't think there is a difference. Just the name the different companies choose to use. I have 4 O'c;ocks in a bed that I never water and during a 5 year drought here, they flourished!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have some that are almost 5 feet tall!

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I just love them,,,Once you have the ones you like you never have to buy them again...Even if they don't winter well in your area you just watch for the seeds dry a bit and replant next year...or at the end of the season you pull your rysomes and replant the following year for larger plants...I am lucky enough to be able to leave them in ground and they just keep coming back, The only ones I had trouble with were the new limelights they are not doing so well.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!these are beautiful and mine simple......
Kaleem

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

rylaff, I have no idea what the name is. They were here when I moved here and I just love them!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I can't get the darn things to sprout!! Is there a secret I don't know about??

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

They are one of the easiest seeds I have had to start. They take a little time hard seed. Don't give up..But be sure the seeds are fresh, they lose it when they age.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

gonna buy some new seed today. Seed I was using was very old...

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

These are beautiful!! I have the regular yellow ones and they are great. Had no idea there were so many colors!!

Tina

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Have six seedlings ready to go into compost-filled hole. Don't know which variety..got the seeds via DG member. Glad they are perennials. Part shade in sunny Florida? Morning or afternoon sun? Your enthusiasm for the plant is infectious. Can hardly wait to see which color(s)! Broken arm or not -- they need to get into the ground so they can take off. Summer showers have begun. How long before blossoms appear? :)

Soozer,

It shouldn't be long for the flowers to appear. I planted some 4's from seed from my SIL plants early this spring (okay, maybe it was winter for some). They are now two good sized little bushes and blooming everyday, pink.

I received a bunch of bulbs/rhizomes from Willie at the Jax RU in May. I am still waiting on them to appear, and they are supposed to be multi colored. I can hardly wait too.

Molly
:^))))

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

Rhizomes take a little longer to bloom..but it's worth the wait...they get taller than first year seeds..sturdier stems as well...I just found a few packages of Peach and pink someone gave me a few months ago...Lost them in one of my safe places,,was looking for something elce and found them they get planted today.

Cinnabor,

Don't you just hate that when you forget where your "safe places" are?

And don't you just love it when you find your "Safe Places"?

It's like getting a gift all over again.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I have so many things in safe places...It's like you said like getting a gift all over again...There are somethings I really wish I knew how they were in their safe place. My husband is really bad...and than he asks me where things are like I know where his safe places are. hahahaha CRS

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

those are beautiful, I have the yellow, tea time rose, fushia colored ones, and I have some seedlings in the greenhouse of broken colors, and klidescope rich reminds me I never put them out and now it's l00 degrees out there, guess i'm gonna have to get out there in the wee hours to stick them in teh ground somewhere LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, you could always trade them if you don't want to plant them, he he, hint, hint!
I was going to plant some seeds of these 4 o'clock but I had heard that they reseed badly and take over. Is this true?
These pictures of all different colors are so pretty.
Carol

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

absolutely, every darned seed that drops on teh ground is a plant, and there is no way you can collect all seeds, I just pull them out, they go through wilt severly when you transplant them, I have some yellows pulled up and in pots for a fall plant sale, and after a week their finally coming around

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I found them to be very invasive. I have sprayed many of them with round up, after I gave up on pulling all of them up. They were everywhere. Three years ago, I gave some to a neighbor and she said they were taking over and drawing water from other plants, she said give her anything but four o'clocks. I have allowed one to stay this spring, so will probablly be spraying round up again soon.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I have not found them to be that invasive. They are a real good low grower,and if I had to choose weeds or 4 O'clocks I choose the 4 O'clocks they shade the ground so weeds die back and give me an endless variety of colors. They keep the ground cooler for the roots of the larger plants and this is very important for some plants as they like the sun but the roots need shade. I have found that if you don't want to many of them you need to pull them up before they go to seed, I love the fact that I can keep seeds from my favorite's and really never need to buy more. If you really want to get rid of them totally..pull all seedlings as soon as possible so they can't set new ones.. Give me 4 O'clocks over weeds any day...

Cinnabor,

I agreed with you wholeheartedly. I went to the Jax RU in May and was given a bunch of 4'oclock bulbs. People think I'm crazy for wanting them.

I have a long patch of ground back by my fence that has ancient thorned asparagus fern growing. 3 dousings of Roundup wouldn't kill that stuff........so, sweet potato vines and 4 o'clocks. Anything to get rid of those horrid ferns.

The 4 o'clock bulbs have grown into 2 foot tall plants. Now I can hardly wait for the flowers, they are supposed to me multi colored.

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.