Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

This looks a lot like the one Sue_WA asked Wandaflowers about a month ago... not sure if that was ever figured out. The picture makes it look more blue than it is, its really all purples.

I got it from unknown source last summer, this is its first bloom, its about 36" tall, and the bloom is 6" tall, does that make it tall bearded iris? I don't know irises, but this is my favorite.

Any idea what it is??

Thanks,

Teresa

Thumbnail by Teresa_IL
Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I don't know what it is, but I hope you find out, because I think I have the same one!

Kelly

Thumbnail by ceallachg
Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

This one looks like it too! I don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by oceangirl
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like mine too.

Is this Monsignor? I ask because someone recently identified a similar iris on the forum as Monsignor.

Thumbnail by Texas_Doodlebug
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

One and three look like near matches to me, and two and four near matches also, but the distinctive feature of four is that triangular light "eye" (?) around the beard...I am really taken by #4, hope someone can ID it!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MONSIGNOR is an IB. It won't reach 36".

Thanks laurief. Guess mine isn't Monsignor then.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

All 4 of these look different to me, but of similiar colors.

Look at the white veining around the beard area--different patterns on all of them. White tipped yellow beards on # 1, 2, & 4.

# 3 looks like a historic MTB with small blooms, yellow beard and only about 24-26 inches tall.

#1,2 & 4 have a similiar shaped standards in a Tall Bearded manner

# 2 has ruffled standards.

#4 has rosy shoulders and a white area around the beard.

All very pretty!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for ther clues, Wanda!

Clueless on Cape Cod

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Sorry I don't have photo posting ability, but I have an iris that is supposed to be "Liaison" but it doesn't have quite the darkness of falls that I think it should have. This one looks like it might be amethyst dancer, or almost paradise....Does anyone else have these so I could compare feature for feature?

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, Wanda, thanks for the info! I wasn't sure whether the differences could be just different environments, or if they are different varieties. They sure are pretty similar, and nice!

One other feature I like about mine, that can't be seen in the others (and also can't be seen well in mine) is the yellow/white beard has dark purple tips, almost looks black. I always think a bee has crawled up in there. You can see it a little in this pic, if you look at the side view here. Its much more obvious in person.

Thumbnail by Teresa_IL
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

So, I was wondering if the others do have this feature?

Spring Park, MN(Zone 4a)

My unknown looks almost exactly like Doodlebug's except the beard is solid yellow, does not go to white at the end. It was my sister-in-law's, but she doesn't remember the name of it.

Thumbnail by lily_digger

Mine does not have the dark purple tip as Teresa described.

Lily-digger, ours do look very similar, except for those beards. Mine does become lighter at the end and it seems to extend farther down the fall...

Such a lovely range of purples. God must love purple irises--He made so many of them!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Mine doesn't have the purple in the beard, either.
Wanda,
The (newly planted) purple and blue iris in my garden survived the winter much better than the other colors. I planted them later than is recommended, and I lost quite a few of the other colors. Luckily they were not expensive. All the purple/blue oned not only survived but they are blooming!

I prefer to plant my iris earlier than recommended to make sure they root well for winter. I like to plant in April, May & June! I get a much better chance of bloom the next spring if they have a well rooted start now.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, Wanda! What are the rose or red ones at the end called? Very pretty. It's too bad many growers won't ship the iris in spring. i think it's a good idea to get them well established.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Wanda,
You have a beautiful garden!

This is the mixed perennial bed on the east side of our house. Always the first to bloom & first to fade. The deep rosy ones are TB Mulled Wine. The blue & white in the foreground is Dover Beach TB. The deep salmon pink are Laurel TB. The peacy ones by Mulled Wine are Peaches & Cream TB.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Just gorgeous, Wanda.
Thank you for sharing the names. I love them all. I'm writing down names so when I order some I'll be ready. I better get going on that, LOL!
Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.