From the SDB seedling bed

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Have a number of really good SDB iris seedlings this year.

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Colors that look "tan" in this picture are actually a smoky pink.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 2:29 PM

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Colors are odd, but the form is very nice

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Delicate colors

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I think this one is my favorite. Why do I like the oddballs so much? LOL

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Those are nice! I especially like the coloration of the first one and the beards on the fourth one! I'd buy them! If you ever need a test garden....LOL! :]

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Stunning!
esp #37..wow
put me next in line for as a test garden.. ;0)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Boy, are those 'Cute or What' babies CUTE OR WHAT?!?!? You can sure see CoW in their genetic makeup. Wonderful seedlings!

If you want a test garden that will REALLY test their mettle ...

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Laurie - why do you like the oddballs so much? It's a good thing you do. When you read the Iris threads objectively (horrors!) I think that we all are pretty odd. But a really good sort of odd like your flowers. :-)

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

beautiful! need a test garden in ohio? LOL

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

doss,

I'M INSULTED!!! ( ;-) )

My irises aren't "odd"; they're just "special"! LOL!

I mean, really, how many purple irises can one person appreciate before wanting a little more flavor in the iris beds? I just happen to like a bit more flavor than most.

Laurie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Indashade, what do you do with your seedlings? Do you ever sell or trade them? I really like the first four.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I think Sea Urchin x Real Coquette is pretty! As is Cute or What x Easter. The second Cute or What x Easter is yellow? These do as Daylilies do? You don’t know what you get until you get it? Lol…………..

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

The ones I have pictured above are the ones that I am evaluating for possible registration. So the next time you see them, they MAY officially have a name!

It may not be a bad idea at all to send some of these to test gardens in places, provided that whoever gets them will give me unbiased and honest feedback on them.

Seedlings that don't pass muster get dug and composted if they're really ugly. However, I have been known to sell or trade the ones that are easier on the eyes. :-)

Sue, I think iris seedlings are even MORE unpredictable than daylilies. The genes for iris line up in really funky ways sometimes.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I will be interested in what happens to these. If you decide to name them it will be fun to see what you choose. Also if you want to sell or trade them LMK. They are definitely too good looking to end up on the compost pile. LOL

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Having them evaluated in different gardens in different climates is definitely the way to go. Photos can be so deceiving. Camera angle, lighting, age of bloom, etc. can profoundly influence how a cv looks in a photo. I've made plain irises look enticingly elegant and gorgeous irises look unbearably dull by how I've photographed them. That's why "unbiased and honest feedback" should always be based on real life observation of the living plant.

BTW, I'm very good at "unbiased and honest feedback". What I sometimes lack is tact. ;-)

Laurie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

indashade--just noticed the thread as I try to catch up . Lovely seedlings!

I also wanted to thank you for King Tush--He's still out there blooming his head off while most of my other TBs have given up. Gotta love it.

Ps. I'll volunteer as a test garden :) I'm watching 2 of Tazzy's un registered TB seedlings right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.