It was bound to happen ... the TBs!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

First TB of the season, as always, but blooming on a very stunted stalk this year.

AUTUMN BUGLER

Thumbnail by laurief
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hurray Laurie. You have a beautiful cultivar - and great healthy foliage. I wish mine looked that way. Maybe next year. Sigh.

But I love the white beards on that one.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

You do have great looking foliage! *Sigh* I'm always having to deal with leaf spot here. It's always wet and often times humid, so leaf spot tends to take a strong hold early on. It must be the differences in our climates, unless you spray yours? I've never had to spray, but after this year's disaster, I'm definitely going to!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I hate to admit this, but I do get leaf spot every year right after bloom. I suppose that's because it doesn't normally get really hot until toward the end of bloom season. Heat coupled with summer rain seems to be the trigger here. You'll probably see leaf spot appear in my pics as the season progresses.

I don't spray because I have too many companion animals and too much wildlife hanging around my iris beds. I avoid chemical use wherever possible for their safety's sake.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, at least you get leaf spot AFTER bloom and you don't have to look at it along with your lovely flowers!

I have never sprayed for the same reasons that you don't, but now I live in a housing complex where there is no wildlife around, so I think I can get away with it.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

BTW~ I'm assuming that some of your wildlife includes deer? I was wondering if they ever nibble at your irises? I've been asked this a couple of times and I never know what to say. I've heard that deer don't like iris, but I've never had to deal with it myself, so I don't feel like I can give a definitive answer...as some plants are supposed to be "deer resistant" but end up being nibbled anyway!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Indeed, deer visit in abundance here. And yes, they will eat irises, but only when really hungry. I have the most trouble in early spring when the deer are starving coming out of winter and the irises are the first plants to green up. The deer will keep them cropped down to the rzs until their natural browse leafs out. Then they'll move on to tastier delights. The deer sometimes come back in fall when their browse has defoliated for the winter and graze the irises again. That can be an even bigger problem than spring because they often uproot newly planted irises just before freezing weather sets in. Irises that get pulled up and replanted that late in the year are almost certain to die over winter.

I have read reports that iris-eating deer are not a problem in the PNW because there is adequate browse available to them all year. Since irises are at the bottom of their list of preferences, they won't generally bother them as long as they have access to other browse.

Grazing, however, is not my irises' biggest problem with deer. It's trampling. Those sharp little deer hooves can both sink and damage rzs while compacting the soil around them so tightly it will suffocate the poor plants.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Laurie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

The only trampling of irises that goes on here is when my JRT "Buddy" gets a wild hair and decides to jump the fence!

That must be true, about the browse in the PNW being adequate all year, because I've never really heard other people complaining about deer.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Laurie, how many TB do you have? Mine are finished, so I will enjoy yours.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I currently grow a little over 200 named TBs (and a bunch of unknowns), about half moderns and half historics. I divided and replanted most of them last summer, though, so I will have very little TB bloom this year.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Laurief, I am trying to find some TB's that bloom at the same time as my red/orange poppies that complement the color of the poppies in a flamboyant way...The poppies are blooming now, as are the first sibs - Ceasar's brother - which looks good with it - also TB "Clear Morning Sky" (or something very similar) - let me know if you happen to spot anthing that blooms with the poppies in your zone, ok? "Autumn Bugler?" Sharon

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A first time bloom on this very historic, small-flowered TB. SANS SOUCI is a cute little variegata.

Sharon, I'm afraid I have no way of accurately identifying which TBs might bloom with poppies because my few poppies are in a different bed with a different microclimate and later bloom period than my iris beds. There are tons of dark purple (black) and bright yellow TBs that bloom at different times in the TB season, and any of them would make a vibrant contrast to your poppies if they bloom simultaneously. I just don't know which ones would bloom at the right time for you. Generally speaking, though, if your Sibs are starting, you're probably in the latter part of TB bloom. If that's true, AUTUMN BUGLER wouldn't be a good choice. It's consistently my earliest TB.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ENGLISH COTTAGE has the second most delicious fragrance in my iris beds and THE most perfect pale plicata pattern. This iris is all grace and delicacy.

Thumbnail by laurief
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

laurief, I think a lot has to do with what is planted where, and if it has been in the same place for awhile...The longest planted sibs are blooming, same with irises, but none of the ones divided or just planted last year...and I moved a lot of things around, so maybe that is why it seems still early iris season to me...Well, just to establish some sort of time frame, how do the TB and sib seasons relate to each other? They both have early, mid and late, but assuming for the sake of comparison that they are all planted in the same spot and are established clumps, what season is first and lhow do they overlap?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

VERY generally speaking, early Sibs start blooming with the late TBs, so there is some overlap of their bloom seasons. Sibs will (or should) extend past TBs season, though.

Of course, there are always bazillions of exceptions.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SUGAR BLUES has the single strongest, most delicious aroma of any iris I know. You know it's opened from across the yard simply by the perfume that draws you to its side.

Oh, and it also happens to be one of only two TBs that has ever managed to rebloom for me.

Thumbnail by laurief
West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Caitlin........I sent you mail

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I love English Cottage, which is strange for me because usually the bright ones draw me. Very delicate.

Susan

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MISTY LADY has an odd habit of taking her sweet time unfolding her standards. If you look around the web, you'll be likely to find a number of unflattering pics of the Lady with pinched, tight standards by photographers too impatient to wait for her to expand to her full glory. She's a gorgeous girl, even when late freezes stop her stalk in mid-fan.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

For those with an appreciation for historic irises, FABIAN presents classic tailored form in a small-flowered, smoky neglecta.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Another old historic, ELDORADO stands out in brilliant jewel tones.

Thumbnail by laurief
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Oh that's a beauty!!!! Add Eldorado to my wish list!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

IMMORTALITY has a reputation for being very slow to settle in and for resenting transplanting. In my garden, her performance has been almost non-existant. She's a stingy, unreliable bloomer for me. I have to admit, though, that she looks better this year than she ever has.

I'm envious of all the people around the country who seem to get near constant bloom out of IMM all season. Undoubtedly the most famous and probably the most widely grown of all rebloomers.

Thumbnail by laurief
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Immortality, Baby Blessed (SDB) and Clarence (SDB) are the only rebloomers I have consistent from year to year. I managed 7 heavy re-bloomers last fall due to our cool & wet August tricking the iris into thinking I had an early fall.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

DR. BERNICE is yet another old historic, this time in eye-catching brown tones. Small-flowered, as seem to be most irises of that era.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ASIA is another old historic and first-time bloomer here. A shy one, ASIA is blooming on a 3" stalk in the center of the clump. Don't even ASK what I had to do to get this photo!

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Fun color, but PEACH JAM has absolutely no substance. Two flowers opened yesterday on this first-timer, and I couldn't get a really attractive shot from any angle of this floppy thing.

Thumbnail by laurief

Laurie--are we laying on the ground alot lately? Dwarfs and short stalks do that for me... :)

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Laurie, I read your post above about the deer problem. I know you have a lot of irises, so I don't know if this idea would be practical, but maybe you could try it for some of your most cherished varieties....I make hardware cloth hoops that I like to use for new seedlings, etc. - mainly for dogs, rather than deer, but it would probably work for them too. The hoops could be staked into the ground if you think the deer might just pick them up...Then when the irises are taller, it can be moved.

I wonder if the deer are the problem with "Immortality"? I have what I think is that one and it is my best grower and rebloomer...(Don't know for sure if that's what it is, because it was supposed to be "October"!)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Wanda, I don't lie down as much as squat, kneel, and bend a lot. My beds are currently planted so obnoxiously closely that I can barely maneuver myself into photographing position on foot, much less on belly.

Sharon, I appreciate your suggestion about the hardware cloth, but you're right, I do have waaaaay too many irises for that to be practical. Until I win the lottery and can install 6' chain link fences around my iris beds, I'm just going to have to deal with deer damage.

IMMORTALITY has a reputation for fussiness in certain gardens and growing conditions. Mine just happens to be one of them. It's not a problem for me, since I have several other nice whites that are trouble-free here.

On with the show ...

Like many of the old historics, CHENEDOLLE is so small-flowered that it probably fits better into the MTB class. It was, however, originally registered as a TB. This bright little doll snatched my attention right away from the large, ruffly, modern TBs with which it shares a bed!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2005 6:31 AM

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

LAVANDULACEA is another new-to-me historic. Unlike the screaming variegata I just posted to this thread, L. whispered his pastel melody to me so I was compelled to come close to appreciate it. Such softness in this delicate flower.

Thumbnail by laurief

Hey--I"ll la on the ground to photo a dwarf flower. "Contortions -R-US!
Neighbors already know I'm crazy anyway.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

GLOWING EMBERS is another new-to-me historic with classic, tailored form and rich red bitone colors. Nice tall stalk, too.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I always enjoy the soft blues that complement most other colors so beautifully. AFTER THE STORM would look lovely next to the soft yellow LEMON REFLECTION which is blooming today in a different bed.

Thumbnail by laurief

laurie, I hope you write professionally, or your word crafting talent is being wasted! Your descriptions belong in an iris photo book....

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Well, Laurie does have TBs. That gives me hope. My family may be moving to my husband's homestead in a few years and that is Central Maine! I definately hope that doesn't happen but we may have to care for his aging parents. :-

Laurie would only chainlink keep out the deer or would any 6' fence do it?

Roni

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Hooked if you are in on this one, what survives for you? MIL likes my irises would like to send her a few now so she's gets to have the gardener do the work! ;o)

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 8:57 PM

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Roni,

Deer farms around here use 6-8' chain link to contain their animals and keep out predators. I suppose any 6' or taller fence that a deer can't crawl under or push through would work. Deer netting is useless here. They just shove right through it.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Laurie

Thanks for the advice, now back to the show...

Here's a TB that bloom special for me this year. Holy Kosmoly

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Such a rufflely white one!
We have an Elizabethtown here in KY too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.