Pothos (devil's Ivy) cuttings?

Hi I've taken several 2in.-3in. cutting from my parent pothos in hopes of growing more, I have used a sterile seed starter mix, and a powered rooting hormone, I enclosed the cuttings in a glass dome and spritzed them everyday to maintain humidity also they had an indiect light source.

I checked them after about a week and noticed the leaves wilting and upon further investigation the poor things were
rotting were I initially cut them...Anybody know what I am doing wrong and or any tips about cutting propagation?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

have a book that says cut off tip end branch about 12" long or desired length, making a diagonal cut just below a leaf or node. Place cut ends in water, removing any leaves that come in contact with the water. Set in any east or west window, never in hot sun. Replace water as it evaporates.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I just root mine in water. You must keep the water fresh at all times. I use glass containers in a window that gets light but not sun.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

you might be babying them too much. I just take a cutting and stick it in soil and they just grow. I didn't use rooting hormone

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I root them in water. I take a cutting with 2 or 3 leaves. When the roots are a few inches long, I transplant to potting soil. I find that if I just leave them in water, they won't grow new leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.