Looking for Bean or vegetable trellis ideas

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi All

I am looking for some ideas to make several good looking trellises for my baby beans, tomatoes and roses. I would prefere functional ones that can be included as a feature in the garden and not just look like a mess?

Any ideas out there and any pics would be really appreciated.

Thanks diane

Soquel, CA(Zone 9a)

what about willow branches? you can make a cute inverted cone shape and tie them at the top, at least for the beans. you can do anything with willow really.

ps. do you want to go to that garden club mtng w/me tomorrow?

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

got errands to run, but i am going so will meet you there if you go?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

There's a really great book I got from the library called "Making Bentwood Trellises, Arbors, Gates & Fences." It shows how to use newly-pruned branches and twine or vine to make really lovely and inexpensive garden structures. I plan to make some of these for next year.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158017051X/ref=pd_sxp_f/103-8221245-5627868?v=glance&s=books

I have a bamboo teepee for some pole beans. and a 6ft high, 15ft long simple white pine trellis (we treated it w/ linseed/turpentine/paraffin ourselves) with netting for more beans and cukes and it looks okay, if not ornamental, to me. Some old-fashioned vining petunias creeping up the sides should look even nicer. :) You can see the teepee and trellis below.

Thumbnail by Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

... should add that I just saw someone using their garden entrance trellis for beans and morning glory. Looked nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.