Two Clematis Questions

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

1. I received seed in a trade marked "Clematis De Ruppel" but I don't see this in PlantFiles. Any idea what color this is?

2. Is. it better to try and collect seed from my clematis plants or to take cuttings ? Which method is the most reliable?

Barb

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I believe it's Dr. Ruppel and it's in the red family.
I've never been successful either way until I spotted one I layered yesterday and it took. I sent it to someone at DG who's been a big help to me just as a gift because I knew she didn't have it.
There are many sites to tell you how to take a cutting which is more reliable than seed if you want the same exact plant as you have.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks! Now that I read your post, i do think that is what the envelope says. I'll try my hand at propgating by layering and see waht happens...

Barb

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Barb,

Greetings from N.C. I have had lots of luck rooting clematis from the mother vine. Take one of the shoots while still attached to the mother plant, nic the stem just above each leave all up the shoot. Place the shoot on the ground(while still attached to mother plant) and cover the nicked areas with dirt. In a few months were the shoot was nicked it will root. Once the shoot has taking root you can cut in between each rooted sect. and have that many new plants. I have shared many of my clematis this way.

Happy gardening

Gary

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Here's Dr. Ruppel

Thumbnail by Hibiscus
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Gary, where is Andrews?

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

What if my clematis' branches can't reach the ground?

Thanks for the pic. I love the color!

Barb

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

ahelms, Andrews is in the far western part of the state we border GA and TN. About 2 hours away from ashville.

Barb,

Do your best to find one that you are able to "untangle" and start and the lowest leaves and work you way up to the top. You should be able to get 10 to 12 new plants this way. Good Luck

Gary

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

If you have to...., cut an outside branch to untangle, maybe 3'-4' from ground, bend over and cover all of stem with dirt. Next year, you'll see lots of little shoots coming up from stem, then is when I cut each one off, after it has started in the spring.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Will do! Thanks!

Barb

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Now you've given me the urge to go out and nick poor 'Tateshina' and try layering again. Maybe that's why she's not popular - they can't get it to root. The last time I left it there two years and when I lifted the piece it just sprang up as though it had been unleashed!

Thumbnail by pirl
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I wonder if you slit one of those rapid rooters,slipped it over the area you nicked and cover it with saran wrap and foil.That way you don't have to drag it to the ground
Plus,you'll be able to see when and if it roots

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

A little rooting hormone for incentive, too, maybe?

Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.