Twelve Month Swap

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I would like to have a different kind of RR swap. Basically, it will involve thirteen members only. Everyone will stuff a box (the $7.70 up to 70 lbs Priority Mail) full of all kinds of goodies - plants, seeds, candies, note cards, bath salts, etc. and send it off once a month. Everyone will get a box once a month, and send a box once a month. Christmas all year long!!

In order for this to be effective, I would like some rules and regs before we start. First is that each member must be a subscriber. Second is that you must be a good trader. I know I've been in a few RR's where the robin just stopped. Those people will not be allowed in this one. I'm not sure the best way to select the members (if anyone wants to join, that is), but I'm open to suggestions.

I will send out a questionaire for the members to fill out, detailing what you like (colors, plants, candy, etc.), and what you have too much of. We can't be too specific here since the same questionaire will go out to 12 other people, and it wouldn't be right for all 12 people to be trying to get Lakeside Hostas because that's the only thing you want. (You get the idea.)

Let me know your ideas on improving this, and if you'd be interested. I know its pricey, but I think we'd all have a ball doing this.

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

i think it's a great idea! i would be interested. belinda

(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure I understand. When a box is sent out, 12 of the same are sent ? And there will be 12 boxes circulating each month?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Each person sends one box and that person gets one box each month. Thirteen boxes will be circulating each month to different people (but the same people who are in the swap).

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

It does sound fun... but am I sending you 12 of the same thing one month, 12 of something else the next, etc.? Or am I sending "someone" a box" each month?
Either way, I'd jump in...
Barb

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

It sounds like fun. I'd like to give it a try. Doris

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I THINK I get it---- basically if you join-- you will get someone you are to send a box to each month. Every month you will get a diffent member of the group.

January I may have BassetMOM
Febuary I send to Pins
march Cheryl

Ect ect... so we would all be agreeing to mail 1 box every month.

AND we should recieve one box every month but never from the same person.

Think in a circle -- 1 mails to 2 mails to 3, and so on
second month 1 mails to 3, 2 mails to 4, 3 mails to 5

This will take careful planning by Pins -- and we would have to make sure we could participate for the whole year -- or perhaps hunt down our own replacment if we had to drop out..

I do I have it right Pins?

Heather

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Okay... this sounds great. The only problem would be as Heather said, if someone drops out. Otherwise, it would be a blast to get a box like that each month. I'm in!

Barb

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Heather, you have it right. Every month you will have a different person you send your package to. And, every month you will get a package from a different person. If you know you can't participate for a year (and don't have a replacement), this isn't the place for you. I had breast cancer this last year, and know that stuff like that can affect the best of us, so don't let that worry you. Like Heather said, we can have stand bys.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

This is so exciting! Could the questionaire include what NOT to send (in case someone has food allergies, etc.). Not me but I know others do. And, once we get teh list, we can start putting things aside for people, which helps when the time comes! This is a great idea!

Barb

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Can I play?

It sounds like so much fun.

I've been here less than a month...but have nooooo intentions of going anywhere. Not now that I've found people who enjoy the things I do.

Dee

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 8:30 AM

N., CA(Zone 9a)

C, I'd love to do this too. I've only been here for a couple of months, but I have every intention of sticking around! And I love putting together care packages...thanks for considering me.
~Rachael

(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the explanations!

I'm excited. This sounds like a lot of fun.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 9:43 AM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

We need a few more players to make this work.

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

I would love to do this.
At my church we do this with secret sisters but mainly just for holidays, birthdays, & anniversarys.
This will me so much fun!!

London, KY

Oh, count me in, this sounds like fun.

I can't wait to start!

Connie

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Ok, not to be a downer here, but what am I supposed to send in December, January and February?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Bulbs -- Amaryllis, paperwhites,hyacynith(all can be forced) , seeds, garden supplies -- gloves, envies for seeds, garden markers, cuttings from houseplants.....

(Zone 5b)

ornaments, chocolates ...

oops another question. When I send a box, will it be forwarded to the next person, or am I sending a box exclusively for one person?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Evergreens for those who live in the south, stationary, bath stuff, Valentines...

Sorry I wasn't specific, but this is where this differs from a normal round robin. The box goes to one specific person. Everyone will be sending one box per month and you get to keep it and everything in it. You'll also get to send one box per month. Don't think you have to go out and buy a bunch of stuff just to fill up a huge box. This should just be a few things (plants and otherwise) that will put a smile on the face of a recipient. One idea would be to look at each person's answers to the questionaire and keep it in mind when you're out to a yard sale or $1 store. Amazing things are found around the holidays. And don't forget - just about everybody loves homemade cookies!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Can I join in?

Gwen

N., CA(Zone 9a)

I've already started making my home-made __________ for the first box to go out. Oops! Almost gave it away!! (-;

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Winter is a great time for seed starting stuff, including seeds! I've already started making a list of things for my husband to get for me to send. The ideas just keep coming!

Barb

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

if you have room i would love to get in here:)

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

If there is a spot left, I am in!

Michelle

ok yes im in on this..

sheran cohen
10201 lindley ave d59
northridge, ca 91325

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Okay, here is the list so far:

daylily970
Cheryl_IL
BassetMom
djm906
pins2006
mysticwill
dbibb
bluenikko
hairgirl5
csr480
smiln32
Gwendalou
annac213
Wtch
Sheran

Okay, we have over the amount, but that's okay. But, it's closed. We will not be able to trade with every single person, BUT we will all get a box of goodies a month. I'll send everyone a questionaire this weekend for you to fill out and return. I'll then match everyone up and send out the names of the folks you'll be trading with and all of the questionaires.

Any questions? Ask away.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Carmen, for coordinating this! It's gonna be fun!
~Rachael

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Carmen, I'm sorry to say I will have to drop out of this robin. I found I may not be able to honor my comitment the entire time, due to unexpected circumstances. I Perhaps another time if you do this again. You have a wonderful idea for a robin and I wish you good luck. Doris

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Shall we post a list and pics of what we get each month?

Barb

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Doris, I'm sorry that you're having to drop out, but, believe me, I understand about unexpected circumstnaces. I'll bet that this won't be the last one of its kind.

Barb, definitely, lets post at least a list, and pics for those of us who are able. That's part of the fun!!

I have decided that the questionaire is probably too long for DG mail. It's not that you have to write so much, its just that the questions are lengthy. I'd like to have everyone's private email addy so I can send it that way, if you don't mind. I'll try to get the questionaire out asap.

Carmen

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

pipenthimble@att.net

Barb

London, KY

Mine is ss64@peoplepc.com
Thanks for doing this!

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Mine is dbibb5134@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch for doing this.

Dee

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, Dave-mailing you mine...

Thanks!
~Rachael

This message was edited Jun 7, 2005 11:52 AM

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

gwenb@whidbey.com

Thanks!

Gwen

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

mindy5@frontiernet.net

Thanks,
Mindy

This message was edited Jun 6, 2005 12:13 AM

Taylor, TX(Zone 8b)

webmaster@witchcrafts.net

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

sorry it took so long

Annac213@hotmail.com

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Looks like so much fun. If you start another, or someone drops out, please let me know.

Melissa

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.