mandevilla seed starting

Prairie Grove, AR

I have a 3 year old mandevilla that last fall put on seedpods. I left them all winter (in garage to overwinter) and when they turned brown I removed them. I allowed them to dry out and they opened up on their own. Does anyone know if there is special treatment (cold stratification, etc) that would increase success with seed starting? I never even knew they HAD seeds!
Thanks

Thumbnail by jldj
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, I really can't help you much with your question. I figured they had seeds but had never seen any and I don't know for sure how to do them for better germination. I looked on the internet and didn't find a thing about starting them from seed.
BUT, if you need someone to help you try.............I'm your gal............LO
Good Luck........

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Prairie Grove, AR

What I have done is taken some out of the pods and placed them in a baggie. One of the pods I "shucked" and placed the seeds in a baggie filled with vermeculite, moistened it, and put the bag in the fridge. So, I have some stratifying, some in "waiting" and some still in the pods. I also put a few seeds in seedstarting mix, moistened and put on heat tray. As of now, none have shown any signs. I am pretty sure with it being a perennial it will need that "cold" treatment, but... who knows!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.