Finally got my "Endless Summer" Hydrangea! (pic & questions)

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Prices are finally coming down and I was able to get this gallon size ES for $20. instead of $40. which seems to be the going price around here.
I'm real excited because I can't even grow Annabelle which is suppose to be hardy in Z5 but its branches die back for me every year so no blossoms.
Anybody growing ES in Z5?

BTW its blooming blue now because I just got it by my Nikko Blue that sometimes maanges a couple of blossoms blooms pink so what does that say about my soil and what do I have to add to it to make it bloom blue?

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I am trying Endless summer as an experiment as we can't grow too many hydrangeas here in Colorado. If you add aluminum sulfate it is suppose to turn the blooms blue, but from what I read it's not good to add it the first year.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I concur....let it get a bit bigger first. I was told to add a small handfull 3 times during the winter and that the blue probably won't show the first spring after treatment....takes 2 to 3 winters of AS to get into it's system. And then it sitll depends on soil chemistry.

K

My ES has not grown a lick this summer. Its been pumping out blossoms all summer but the bush hasn't grown. Our summer has been very hot and dry. I water it when it doesn't rain. Should I cut off the blossoms?
Will this help it grow? Is there any specific type of fertilizers that Hydrangeas like?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I"ve had my ES for three years now, and it still is right at 3' tall. I think they may just be slow growers. We've been wet and cool for most of the summer. Michael Dirr just uses 10-10-10 on all of his hydrangeas.

Mines about 1 ft.
Hope it does better next year.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I bought 2 Endless summers this year and they are doing very well. I did notice when I fed them some aluminum sulphate, they REALLY started growing! I was using it to tip the color to blue, which it did.. but I also saw how much that hydrangea liked the feedings. Mine don't bloom PROFUSELY, but its still a pretty bush. I'll get some pictures soon and post them.

Maybe I need to fertilize it more often.
I thought the AS took a year to work??

Normal, IL(Zone 5b)

Aluminum sulphate worked for me almost immediately. A couple of small applications is best.

Mark

Thumbnail by normal1234
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I think if you cut off the old flower heads it will grow and bloom again//that's why they call it es

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

To those that have Endless Summer, does it really bloom a lot longer than others? I have seen it at Lowe's. $27.95 is that about right?

This message was edited Aug 21, 2005 6:40 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes that is about right...it is cut and come agian. But Penny Mac is less expensive and just as good.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, for the quick reply. I don't think I have seen Penny Mac here. I will check closer.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I just got one for $15! I am going to pot it up and plant it in the fall (or early spring) when i get the new beds in.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I will say that I've got both and they both have blooms on them now. How large is the Endless Summer? A 3 gallon container would be what I would imaging for $27.95 as a good price.

Mine has bloomed consistantly all summer and is still at it.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I am so glad to hear that they bloom consistently. We toured Bellingrath Gardens near Mobile and my daughters just loved the long rows of blue hydrangaes. I bet those had been in place, probably 50 years!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I found around here that I have to pay about $40.00 for a good size Endless Summer. Don't ask me how many gallons because I don't know.

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Are you all still happy with your ES? What are the sun recommendations? When I started my hosta bed out front, I left several large areas empty with ES in mind to be purchased next spring. I'd need 9 so at $20 that's pretty much my budget for the year. At $40 I'd have to space out buying them over a couple of years.

Bed is on the north side of the house, but one side gets some morning sun, and the otherside gets some late afternoon sun, the parts in the middle don't get much sun at all.

mg

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

"they" say that morning sun is best for Hydrangeas.. I have seen them in afternoon sun and some of mine get it..usually if the ground is kept moist they do okay. You may be able to find some bargains this time of year.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I finally found ES clearanced at Lowes- 2 gal. pot for $10 ! I gleefully giggled all the way home! So definitely check out the clearance sales. The plant looks great to-2 1/2' tall and wide! A couple of months ago I also found 1gallon 'Forever and Ever' at Lowes clearanced to $3, so of course I came home with 5 of those! It is also supposed to bloom on new wood. Happy hunting all! Neal.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I purchased two Endless Summers early this summer. After I put them in the ground I bent a new stem over, put dirt over it and then weighed it down with a small rock. It is now fall and one of the plants has a new root system growing on it. I guess I will let it stay like this over winter and then cut it off the mother plant next spring and I'll have another Endless Summer plant.

Unless ofcourse some of you have other suggestions.
I'm always open for advice.

Deb

New Richmond, WI(Zone 3b)

I planted two very expensive Endless Summer last year, late in the season. Neither of them came back in the spring. I bought two more this spring. They did great over summer. They doubled in size and had constant blooms. Late this fall I am considering covering them with foam rose cones for less chance of winter kill. Does anyone know if this is a good or bad idea?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have heard that Endless Summer does not need winter protection because it blooms on new growth. That is why they say it is good for lower zones..but 3b??? Oh my God you really are COLD. I guess I would protect everything there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.