Help with newly aquired iris...

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi guys!
I have been the lucky receipient of several iris trades. Mostly beardeds but some Sibs. It has been raining steadily here for the last couple of days and is supposed to continue for the next few. Should I soak these iris, or just wait and put them into the garden after the rain. Just wasn't sure, since normally I get things out into the yard the day of or at least the day after receiving them...thanks for the help!
JanetS

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Do NOT soak the beardeds, do NOT put them in the refrigerator, and do NOT keep them in plastic bags. Lay them out someplace dry, reasonably cool, with good air circulation, and out of direct sun until you're ready to plant. Don't worry if their roots and leaves start to dry out and shrivel up. They'll grow new ones whenever you get around to planting them.

DO soak the Sibs. In fact, keep their roots and rhizomes in a bucket of water (changing the water daily) until you can plant. Unlike beardeds, Sib roots should never be allowed to dry out. If you think it'll be more than a few days before you can plant, you'd be better off potting the Sibs.

Laurie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much for your help! I was undecided as to which way to keep them..and wanted to be sure I did what was best for them!
Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.