Looking for "Madagascar Periwinkle", please?...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

This one is also known as "Rosy Periwinkle". From what I have read here and there it is not to be confused with Vinca minor variety but is much different.

This one is known for having great medicinal properties, especially in relation to cancers, Hodgkin's, leukemia.

There is a briefing of info on this at: http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbPeriwinkleMed.htm

Should anyone have this growing I'd like to offer a trade of some kind for a piece of it!
Many Thanks!
Shoe.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Mine produce viable seed here in the fall. I can share said species with you at that time for SASE only if you are interested. I grow many medicinals and there is no forum for conversation about these, I found your post while looking for information on Tithonia rotundifolia...lol.

best,
Don

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Another link to the plant, with some more detail on it's antidiabetic, anticancer, and pain relieving properties.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsWho/0,3923,4108%7CCatharanthus,00.html

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, drdon! If I can't find some before this Fall I'll certainly appreciate some seeds!

I have tithonia...this year I'm only growing "Fiesta del sol". I prefer "Torch" as it tends to grow much taller than Fiesta but alas, I didn't save any seeds of Torch last year.

Have also a few plants of Fiesta in the g-house I could send you now, if you'd like.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry

This message was edited Jun 1, 2005 9:15 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, NatureWalker...'fess up. What'cha sorry for? (I didn't get to read your post before you edited it.) No need to apologize. It's just me! Good ol' Shoe...Friend to All!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Shoe,

I have a ton of Vinca minor all growing down an embankment. Don't want grass... ya hafta mow grass!

LOL!

~* Robin☺♫

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Love the 'good ole shoe' reference to the movie Wagging the Dog...lol

As far as sending Tithonia seedlings...thanks, but I've got enough for this year, as it is my first season with these I'm trying both Fiesta del Sol and Torch. I may be in the need of seed next season. You are going to get mail in the fall Shoe. I don't know how they'll do in NC, but my instinct tells me they'll probably naturalize there if you are close to the coast. Send me an email if you are interested in other medicinals that are also good for cancer prevention, and, or, other ethnobotanical remedies.

best,
Don

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"Love the 'good ole shoe' reference to the movie Wagging the Dog...lol"

Hah! Picked right up on that, eh!? :>)

Thanks, Don! I'll be in touch this Fall! Or sooner. As for now, you'll love the Tithonia...they are fantastically low-maintenance! Drought tolerant, heat lovers, flower all the time (it seems!), butterfly attractants. Can't say enough good things about them.

NatureW...don't blame ya one bit! Those periwinkle/minors are great! I'd much rather see those than have to mow grass! Besides, they are much prettier than grass! Ya done good! Yay!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Horseshoe,

I'm very excited about them and they seem to like their location. If it's heat they want they'll get in spades here...lol.

Look forward to sending you seed.

best,
Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.