my neon eggplants are going into the garden

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

after months of waiting my garden is ready and the weather is good. these will be going in on thursday

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I've never seen an eggplant...plant. Can you take pictures as it starts to grow so I can see what it looks like with the eggplant on it?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sure will.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol..Oh I KNOW about em..and I've even used em once or twice..but but..I dunno *shrugs* pictures people post in the forum seem more real *ducks and runs for cover*

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Good looking stuff Herbie! Had to cover mine so I haven't seen them in a while. I did plant a sacrificial one outside the cover (ran out of room) and the bugs are having a field day!

FarmerD - love the PlantFiles and thanks for posting all the veggie pics in their smaller stages, that is a real help. Araness - you get over there and check them out! :)

Hey Critter - Check out THOSE eggplants!?!

-Kim

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I planted mine outside of row cover and no bugs yet... (knock on wood) Am I lucky? WHat should I be expecting? Should I still try to cover it?

Drew

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

My ep's are still babies! I think my biggest is smaller than your smallest. I did plant one out on Sunday, though. I just couldn't stand it! It looks to be hanging inthere, so maybe the amended garden bd will do it good...dare I plant out another???

Haines Falls, NY(Zone 4b)

Mine are way smaller. How long did you keep them inside? What did you feed them? They look way healthier than mine.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone! My eggplants were bigger and happier this year. One thing I really think contributed - I used bigger 'pots' -can't think of the word I am looking for. Actually, the pots I used look just like the ones above! I bought them from Charley's Greenhouse mail order. They are huge compared to most seed starting flats.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

zel - What zone are you in?

Not sure, Zone 4 or 5, depending on the map. Last frost is about May 15

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Whoa! You're way up there! Nice country!

Yeah, and that is why I REALLY need big eggplant seedlings. Getting eggplants to mature here is HARD. It is nice in the summer, though... How's it in Carmel, our spring has been so cold, everything I planted in early May died. Our strawerrys are just blooming. Has it been cold elsewhere?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Not as warm as usual, tho we have a few nice weeks. And, wet! Ayayayay! I sure hope we don't have another soggy summer. I had so much trouble with fungus!

Oh, thats bad. I'm atop a mountain, so (though it's even colder than it should be) its pretty dry.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i started them indoors onmarch 31st. i kept them on my heating blanket with the heat nbr at 7. also had grow lights on them all the time for 15 hours a day. when they got their second set of leaves i put them downstairs in unheated garage but kept the lights onb for the same amount of time. when they got their third set of leaves i put them in the 4 inch pots and gave them a drop of micrle grow just once. they have been in the garage up until a few days ago when i started hardening them off. have yet to get them in the garden though. been busy getting my earthboxes going with tomatoes and the rest of my 13 containers for my deck with tomatoes and basis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.