creeping charlie invasion

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

has anyone tried to smother this stuff with cardboard and/or mulch? I have a yard full of it, its agravating! I just bought some spray herbicide but I'm too afraid of hurting our best friend (Buster), and the birds who congregate in our yard. I think I would rather deal with the charlie as apposed to harming Buster or all the wild life. I dig my dog but my dog digs dirt! Any other sugesstions?

Thumbnail by momof2d
Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Here is a link regarding the use of Borax to battle creeping charlie: http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/plants/BG522.html

Pretty dog. He looks real mellow. Borax shouldn't hurt the pooch.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks JefeQuicktech, I'll have to try that, it would be a really cheap way to get rid of it. I'll Have to check with our county extension and see if they say anything about it. I'm very leary of using the store bought weed chemicals. Buster thanks you too! ;)

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

oh I always cultivated this stuff......it is low growing and does not have to be mowed very often. Hardy even in drought - you mean this is a problem. Fills in when things are bare.........and clears out when the soil is improved.

I think grass is overrated though.

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Up here in the Midwest where we have really rich soil, it is really invasive and has very bad manners, going where it ought not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.