Picture of problem Hydrangea

Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

OK, here are 2 pictures of my problem Hydrangea. Please help if you can ... Thanks.

Thumbnail by AlicemayS
Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

Here's the other one.

Thumbnail by AlicemayS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Doesn't look like it is being chewed to me..looks more like some kind of fungus. I have a problem with my Hydrangeas where they will have an entire stem completely shrivel up...I don't know what it is or what is causing it. Last year I lost 3 huge entire shrubs. This year I see one branch on my 'Pia' doing the same thing. Frustrating! Yours could possibly be a little frost damage to the early leaves.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

AlicemayS, Take a cutting and place it in a blastic baggie. The take it to your local extension aounty agent. If he doesn't know what your problem is, he has access to university personnel that will. They can also give you advice on how to get rid of the problem.

I've never had a problem like that. My problems have been trying to keep the edges of the leaves from going dry on a hot summer day. Good Luck.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Do you fertilize a lot? Too much fertilizer in a plant's system can cause deformed new growth (specially systemic pesticide fertilizers). If you think that might be it, lay a hose under it and let it run for an hour to help wash the extra fertilizer away. If the new growth is fine after doing this you know the answer. On the other hand it kinda reminds me of fuschia mite.

K

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

AlicemayS, I have a couple of the "Endless Summer" Hydragea that have the same problem with the leaves. Is that the variety you have pictured? I think it all happened with the very late frost that hit the area.I am in zone 5 also. All of the new growth looks OK since the frost. I hope this is what you have, but I think the extension could tell you for sure.

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

hi all
i have had this hydranger far 3 years,it don,t grow much, but this year this is what it looks like,don,t no what happen to it.im haveing problem with a lot of plants that has done fine before

Thumbnail by starfly
Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

Yes, they are both Endless Summer. I've gardened for a long time, but never had Hydrangea until last year. We had a bad late frost - a 20 degree night back in late April, and it killed all the green leaves. Then the plant started to grow again and was OK for a few weeks then this "curled up brown looks like something chewed the end" thing started happening.

I have next Tuesday off work and will take a cutting to the U.Mass extension service.

Thanks for your help!

Alice S.

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

AlicemayS-

Would you please let us know what they say at the extension? You've got me curious. Hopefully nothing too bad :)

Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

YEs, I will post anything I find out. Tonight when I was out in the yard I ran my hand through one of them and a white bug flew out. Maybe that is my problem. I was kind of a flat bug maybe 1/4" in size, and it flew out very fast, darting around. I will mention it to the extension guy.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Alice, I am also having a problem with my hydrangea. I had 2 Blue Billows, both were doing beautifully. One of them started getting these brown edges and soon the whole thing was gone. Now the other one is starting to get it. Does it look like the same thing that is happening to yours? I'll be watching to see what you find out.
~Rachael

Thumbnail by RachaelBee
Quinton, VA

If it is frost or something like it, just take off all the infected leaves. You should be over your frost date now and everthing should be fine. Or if you have had an excess of water then it could be some type of fungi~

I think I would remove all the damage leaves and branchs and take a sample to someone who knows.

Get it looked at - then come back and tell us what they said. That would be great.

Have a great Growing season.

Angelo
Softballkid4u

Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

Bluenikko - yes, your damage does look a little like mine, but mine is much worse. Mine does look like something is chewing the end of the leaves - some kind of a bug.

We did get a late frost, but the plant recovered from that and started putting out nice green leaves,then whatever this is struck.

Yesterday I ran my hand through one of the plants and a flat white bug flew out, very quickly, kind of darted around. I don't know if that is what is causing this or not.

I will tell the Extension guy about all this and see what he has to say.

Thank you for all your input - I really do appreciate it.

I just don't want to stand by and watch these plants die!

Alice S.

Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

OK, here is the verdict from the extension service. Two possibilities, and maybe both of them. Most likely candidate is the Hydrangea leaftier, but they said it is a little early in the season for New England to have this pest present, but the damage is being done in the leaf bud stage. But there is also some chew marks on the leaves that look like aphid damage, so they think probably both are doing damage. So I am spraying with Safer Soap every 2 days until there is no new leaf damage, then once a week if the damage doesn't return. They said I can also try BT spray to kill the little leaftier caterpillar if the Safer Soap doesn't do it.

So that's the scoop. I am very glad this is a bug and not a virus! Even after all the damage to the leaves I see the first flower buds forming - amazing considering all this little 1 year old Endless Summer has been through!

Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Alice, thanks for sharing! I wish your Hydrangeas a speedy recovery.
On mine, the damage has slowed down, but still on some new growth even after cutting them way back. I talked to my extension people, but did not bring a leaf (I had already cut it all off). They said hard to tell without seeing it, but possibly frost damage. (?)
Let us know how your Endless Summer does.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

AlicemayS, Aphids are sucking instects not chewing. Even Safer Soap can burn. Do the directions say to spray every two days?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Awesome info, AlicemayS--I too have this EXACT problem with my Endless Summer! Sounds like this guy may bloom more readily, but is a little fussier than other hydrangeas.

I'm thrilled to have read this thread...........may I ask, Alice & roseofKaren (cute "handle" by the way!), where do you have your planted? Mine was in full sun w/partial shade (with hibiscus & roses) and crinkled up. I moved it to heavier shade w/only morning light, and the baby leaves look great. I'm afraid it won't have enough light though........

=) MKJ

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

MKJ,
Hydrangeas are shade loving plants especially here in the Texas heat. Some morning sun should be enough. I planted some oakleaf hydrangeas which are supposed to be planted in sun. I couldn't keep the leaves hydrated ehough. The new growth and leaf edges turn crispy and brown. They would start out OK in spring, but as soon as the heat went up they began to suffer. I lost one and moved the other to the north side of the house where it gets bright light but no direct sunlight. It seems to like that location.

Florence, MA(Zone 5a)

Bettydee - the extension guy said "aphid damage" I am sorry I called it chewing - I did not mean to use an incorrect word. And yes, the Safer Soap I got from my local organic food store says you can spray daily if needed - I sprayed twice a day apart and saw no new damage, so I have not sprayed since. I am keeping a steady eye on both of them - checking one AM and once PM.

I mostly have Hosta and a big veggie garden - so I have no experience whatsoever with tender shrubs - the ones I have are pretty hardy and have been here for more than the 25 years I've owned this house. The Hydrangea were a birthday present last August. I never planted them before because every one of them I liked the look of would not grow this far north. But I just love these 2 little hydrangea, and I want them to be as healthy as possible. Someone traded me hosta for a climbing hydrangea, so I guess I've got the Hydrangea Fever now....

The directions for Endless Summer said the plants should go in full sun in my zone, so I planted them last year as such. They wilted badly, even after 2 weeks of intense watering, so I moved them near my lilac bushes - they get dappled shade most of the day. Their recovery from this recent leaf damage has been remarkable. New healthy leaves popping out all over the place.

Thanks again,
Alice S.

Palatine, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted my Endless Summer bushes last fall, in full sun. All of my other hydrangea (tardiva, oak leaf, Annabelle, & climbing) are in at least part shade. I am curious to see how Endless Summer will do in the full sun. It has held up well this past week and a half of very hot weather (90), & doesn't get wilted by afternoon, but we'll see, it's early yet. I will also be keeping an eye on it for aphids. Its always easier to get them early--thanks Alice S--sorry your bushes had to be our learing curve :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.