Oak Tree Limbs

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

I have an oak tree that is only about 6 yr old, it's limbs start about 3 feet from the ground; the tree is appx. 20 feet tall. I'm wondering if the bottom limbs will grow upwards with the tree, or if I should cut them off since they're so low?
Thanks, Jo Ann

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

We have some oaks out in the woods whose thick branches start about 4 maybe 5 feet from the ground. If you want to be able to walk under that oak tree, you need to prune those branches off as it will not get any higher off the ground than it is now. You might want to wait until winter to prune.

A word of caution. Four years ago, when we left California, there was a disease killing oak trees. I left before finding out how the disease spread. Here in Texas, the advice is not to prune at certain times of the year because of Oak Wilt. Find out from your local extension county agent if there are any specific times you should avoid. Usually spraying to seal cut is no longer recommened with the exception of oaks at least here in Texas. Sealing the cut protects our susceptible oaks from the insects that spread the disease.

BettyDee

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your advice; I'll check it out w/the county office.
Jo Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.