Lace flower 'Cygnet'

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

She's an episcia, isn't she pretty?!

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

that's gorgeous... the first african violet i've ever seen that i like.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful! I hope mine blooms soon. I found a small alsobia
dianthflora, but I don't think it is Cygnet.

How's your cutting of Columnea Sheideanna doing? has it bloomed for you yet?

MsC

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh yes! She was gorgeous, I have to remember to cut off those bracts. It's sending up more branches, maybe I'll be able to put into a basket some time in the near future. I'd like to be able to hang it some where because (as you know) those flowers face downwards.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, yes, about the alsobia, she's a great plant. It sends out a lot of ... plantlets? but takes a little while to fill out a pot which is what I think made mine flower. I had it in a smaller pot than the one it's in, then I moved it just as it was about to flower to a huge planter.

I quickly learned that episcias don't like that and so I moved my episcias back to small individual pots again.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Glad to hear 'Sheideanna' put out a lil show for you. It is one of my favorite gessie's.

I need to whack on mine some more and root the cuttings into a new basket....

I know what you mean about those rascally Episcias... some of mine leave a lot to be desired. The ones I left in the small 4 inpot are the happiest. the ones I moved up to a small 6 inch basket are v ery sad looking.:(

I do have 2 that are blooming. I need to resize a bunch of pics to show but just can't get to it lately.

MsC

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I think what we're seeing in those really nice episcia pictures (from plant shows and sellers) are pots with multiple cuttings, not single plants. Fortunetly, the episcias grow fast enough to do that.

My pink panther grows very fast but has a tendeny to get stringy so I have to constantly cut it back.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

That's a pretty alsobia.

The episcias in shows should be one plant, but with additional stolons pinned down to the soil. It's realatively easy to put a nice larger planter together if you have a youngish plant to start with, and then pin down and prune judiciously. It helps to grow it with enough humidity and light until the pinned down stolons have rooted.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some babies that have done that on their own when I was rooting them in a shallow pan. Those ones are already in flower.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.