Bibb lettuce

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I picked this one yesterday and we had it in a salad for lunch, absolutely delicious! Only 39 days from setting out plants that I purchased from a greenhouse. It's the Buttercrunch variety, anyone else tried it?

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yummy! I luv Buttercrunch!! That's a keeper! And never fear, if the weather heats up a bit, that is one of the few varieties that can handle the heat. Yummy!

Looking good, Big Red! (Oh by the way, did I mention "Yummy" yet!?)

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh my! what a beautiful lettuce. Looks too perfect to eat - ok not really:) I am thinking the fall lettuce crop is more and more of a possibility here at our house. I have seeds for that one.

Reminds me of the hydroponic Boston Bibb we get at the grocery store.

Thanks for posting that one Big Red.

-Kim

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shoe, and I still got 11 heads left, wish I had planted more!

Kim, you gotta try this one, it's delish! (or Yummy as Shoe says)☺

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 10:40 PM

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red, I grew twelve Buttercrunch from seed this past winter and they did really well. I just kept picking leaves off and they lasted for over 4 months until I pulled them out. But yours looks better than mine did. Keep it goin'!! - Flip

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I let one plant go to seed and now have volunteers coming up in the garden every year which we eat long before I ever get any planted.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Flip,

I thought I replied to this a couple of days ago but I guess I didn't hit the post button!

I wondered if you could just pick the outside leaves and still keep them growing. I have plenty of lettuce though so I guess I'll just keep picking the entire head.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Someone here said she only picked the outside leaves...can't remember who. But I know my cousin does it also, and her plants are fine.

Saint

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red,
I read about just picking the outer leaves of lettuce somewhere in DG I think, but anyhow...I want to tell you it really worked well with the buttercrunch. I'd pick say 5-6 leaves off two or three plants (for salad) and within a few days the plants had grown back again. I also tried picking a lot of leaves from one plant and took off say 75-80% of the leaves from it and it grew all the way back in a week - ten days. Check it out and let me know how it goes - see ya, Flip

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I might give it a try and see how it works although, as I said, I have plenty of lettuce planted. I have 12 heads of iceburg lettuce and a 25 foot row of Black Seeded Simpson nearly ready to pick (pictured), plus 9 heads of the Buttercrunch left. So I have plenty of lettuce, now I need some 'maters for that salad!

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Picking the most mature leaves off spinich works to lol it cant go to seed if it is kept pruned down. I like to do this because it is also more flavorful to my taste. Most of my lettuce either grows back or trys. Usually I pull it though because I like to see full same sized beds.Ernie

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I just pick outer leaves and cannot keep up with how much I have coming on... It is cool this year so nothing has even tried to go to seed for me yet.

Drew

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.