Best soil for these vines?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Can anyone give me advice on the best soil for these two vines:

Coral honeysuckel

Cardinal climber

I believe I killed my zinnias because I planted them in rich fertilized soil and now I read they thrive in poor soil. I don't want to make the same mistake with these vines, so any help is appreciated!

Maureen

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

IMO, the key is in adding lots of perlite and/or vermiculite to keep the soil well draining and loose. If the water pools up on top of the soil for more than a few seconds, its too tight and the plants have to struggle more to get roots well established. You can get away with using used up dirt like you say your currently using as long as its loose. You would just need to suppliment what nutes the plants would normally get in rich soil with liquid foods.
I made a mistake earlier this spring by using Scott's 3 in 1 compost and I ran out of perlite but I only needed to pot 1 last plant. The soil was too tight and even though the plant was in great soil, it pailed in comparison to the very same plant in old, loose soil. I repotted it and loosened up the soil and it caught up in 2 weeks.
That's my 2 cents anyhow. Goodluck
JD

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow that's very good to know. Water will sit on top of my soil a whole lot longer than a few seconds! Thanks very good information I'll keep in mind.

Maureen

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

It sounds like you have a very common problem called soil compaction. Even the highest quality potting soils fall short when it comes to drainage and it is very simple to correct. Buy a couple bags of perlite, vermiculite or both, we do. I add 25% to 40% perlite to every batch of soil. Your plants will thank you almosty instantly. Your plants are sufferering from a lack of oxygen at the root level and the soil is packed so tightly that the roots have a hard time growing through it. Perlite and vermiculite are very cheap additives too and you'll be amazed by the results.
It will require more frequent waterings once the soil is loosened up but that is a good thing unless your really short on time. With the loose soil, every time you water your also pouring oxygen down into the pot.
Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.
Goodluck, JD

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much, I have alot of perlite and have been using it to ammend my beds and in my pots. I appreciate the advice very much.

Maureen

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

My pleasure. Nothing I enjoy more than sharing info and trying to help people dodge mistakes I've made in the past. I sure hope its helpful info.
JD

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

JD - Good info, Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.