where did everybody go

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

all of a sudden we all stopped talking here. so i will break the silence. lol everybody tells me i have a big mouth andshould learn to be quiet sometime but you know talking is how you learn about things. we buried my father in law yesterday and I have been in the bed ever since with swollen legs from the trip. I sat up last night in the recliner at the computer most all night because it was less pain that way. doesn't it just make you so angry that in order to do the simpliest things lilke ride in a car for 1 hr. each way. but at least i can still ride and drive. well i am going to lay back down and prop my legs up. just wanted to say hi everyone and lets start the ball rolling again.

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I've been around - it's been a very busy week and I've just been hopping in and out of DG and posting as I find time. I haven't been able to wear shoes since Friday due to swollen feet, but that's the beauty of working at a pool and spa company - been at the office two days in a row with no shoes and nobody minds since half of the staff are barefooted too - though *their* feet look normal and not like stuffed sausages :) Got to get a new pair of shoes that I can wear when this happens - my Doc Martins just don't expand enough and no shoes means I can't go in the grocery store on my way home. I've never really understood the reason for requiring shoes (fairly recent requirement in Austin) - are they are afraid of a mass outbreak of athlete's foot?

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

I can remember when I could go barefoot. I hardly ever wore shoes. Since 1984 when I developed diabetes I can no longer go barefoot. I can't even walk down the hall to the bathroom at night without putting on my shoes. How I wish for those days of no shoes. There was a time when i could walk on rocks my feet were so tough. not now, they are so tender that walking around the bed barefoot hurts. My feet are numb from the diabetes so I must wear shoes for I don't know when I have hurt myself. I wear athletic shoes with straps instead of laces. That way i can adjust them easily as my feet swell during the day.

Knoxville, TN

JCF,I remember as a child my grandmother had this andif anyone ever got close to her feet enought totouch them.she would go crazy.it must me hobbible pain!!!!I am so sorry
I will keep you in my prayers!!!!!!

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Janet I am back from the floods in Texas and on my way 6to the ones in Pennsylvania and then back to Huston. I am sorry about your loss. I will be back talking shortly Shirley

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

Ah jfc, I'm so sorry to hear that you can't go barefoot anymore. Diabetes runs in my family and I pray that I don't get it as I would hate to have to wear shoes all the time. Thanks for the tip on the shoes with straps. I've only seen sandles made this way, but I'll look for athletic shoes like this.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

If you have a walmart I know you can find them there and also at kmart.
And yes I don't let anyone mess with my feet or legs. They are so touchy.. If the dog or cat jumps up on them I nearly scream. But it could be worse. I could have no feet or legs like some diabetic. so i am thankful for that and just take each day at a time.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

jcf,
You have a good attitude, I'm sure that helps you cope well. Recently watched a video in which a priest says a poor person told him "I used to complain I had no shoes until I saw a woman without feet." It can always be worse, I truly believe gratefulness is a gift we give ourselves and attitude is everything in learning to live with disablity, as a priest I know says, "We can be either bitter or better." This priest(Father Jim Willig) recently died from cancer at age 50 and before his death wrote an inspirational book called "Lessons from the School of Suffering: A Young Priest With Cancer Teaches Us How To Live". I read this book in the hospital a couple weeks ago while recovering from shingles, it is very inspiring.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

What makes some of your legs and feet swell? Mine swell and I am miserable. I can't figure out what makes them swell for sure. It just seems they do what they want. I know if is really humid and I am out in the hot humid weather they swell. They are better in the winter. The Doctors don't seem to have a clear cut answer for the swelling.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

My legs swell if I sit for a long time like at this computer. You should see them they are really swollen. They have always swelled in the heat even when I didn't have diabetes. If I eat alot of salt products like chips they swell. Usually the swelling goes away during the night. For that I am thankful. If they are not swollen they do not hurt so bad. I am sitting here right now because they hurt worse when I lay down. Some nights I just hate to go to bed. Some look at me like I am crazy when I say that and I think only by the grace of God is this not you. Of coxurse I say this to myself when I see someone worse off than me.

When my feet swell this is what I do:

I eat a big round piece of watermelon. Cut 1 inch thick around right off the end.
Watermelon is a diuretic. I have to eat it almost every day year round. It takes me about 10 days to eat one watermelon.
And I crack the seeds between my teeth & swallow them, because they kill stomach & liver flukes and other worms too.
Sometimes I get tired of eating watermelon, so I switch to eating 8 spears of asparagus a day. Cooked.. It is also a diuretic.
Prescription diuretics are harmful to the body, but the watermelon & asparagus is OK. No problems at all.

Bread and any grains cause my feet to swell. Coatings on fried foods too. So I stay away from all grains and eat no bread at all.
Drinking extra water is a diuretic also. So I drink a big glass of water if my feet are swollen.
Computer work too long is a no-no.

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

You can also eat celery as a natural diuretic. Also drinking water will help regulate the swelling. Sometimes the body retains water if you don't drink what you need. Elevating your legs may be painful but that is because your tissues are being relieved of the pressure....this is what makes you feel pain. So please elevate your feet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.