A question about a clematis?

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a question...I cut a piece of a clematis off of my mom's vine...it is a nice size vine...Will it root is if put it in water? or if i even put some rooting compound on it and plant it in dirt?

Thanks,

Char :o)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Char...I am new to clems and also have a cutting in water & was wondering the same thing...so I looked it up in my new clematis book...it says to put root hormone on the cutting and put in perlite with some bottom heat, cover with plastic and place in the shade and it should root in 6-8 weeks.

Good luck...

I was noticing that my cutting was actually getting new leaves and buds, just sitting in water. I am wondering if it would beable to root in water instead of putting into perlite. Anyone know?

Margie

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

picturelady and everyone else that wants to know..I found these websites while looking around and it looks promising....

http://members.home.nl/jvanacquoij/prop.html

And found this question here: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ITG_sep00.html

Q. How do you propagate clematis? When is the best time to move older plants? Are they deep-rooted, and, if so, how far do you dig? What fertilizer do you use?
- Lois Holcomb, Hudson, Ind.

A. Clematis is best propagated by cuttings, which root in about five weeks. Young wood taken in late spring to late summer is most commonly used. Treating the cuttings with a rooting hormone, and misting the cuttings will aid the rooting process. The clematis you buy at a nursery are usually grafted onto a stronger rootstock, so your best bet is to grow purchased plants. However, you can get decent results from growing your own cuttings.

Transplant your clematis in the early spring or just after flowering. Dig down about 12 inches and try to maintain soil contact with the roots.

An annual application of 5-10-10 sprinkled around the base along with a layer of well-rotted manure as a mulch will keep clematis happy and healthy. They prefer to have their vines in the sun and their roots in cool soil.

So i am gonna let me stand in water for a couple of days so i can figure out where i want to plant it...then hope for the best

Char :o)

I found this thread which describes the propogation process quite clearly.

I also remember reading not long ago about someone who air layers his clematis and gets 100% success. I'm going to try that with my clematis this year as well as straight cuttings to see wha happens.

Christine.

(Zone 4a)

Picture lady,

A Clematis slip will not root in water.

You must cut off the buds of the slip.
Carefully snip off all leaves except for the top two.

Make a diaginal slit right under the second node
of the slip; dip in water, dip in rooting hormore,
then plant it deep so the top node is at soil level.

Cover the potted slip with a plastic bag.
Cut one top corner off of the bag, so you will have
about a one-inch opening.

You will need a 5 or 6 inche pot.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank-you taramark...your way sounds very simple...I will have to try it sometime...
Are you putting it in potting soil or in perlite?

(Zone 4a)

Either, as long as it is sterile.

Place the potted cutting in good light, but
not in a sunny window.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.