Giving up on AVs

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I tried years ago to grow AVs with no luck. Thought I'd try my hand again so I got 4, 2 reg and 2 variegated. I even put them under lights and bought one of the capillary mat self watering trays to as
to not overwater. Well, they did great for a couple of months and all of a sudden poof. Total rot.
I give up. Done venting.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, no! That's so disappointing, especially after they were responding so well to all your efforts!

Some AVs seem to like self watering pots, wick watering, capillary mats, etc better than others, and I've had a few do just what you described. Letting them dry out a bit every so often seems to be a good thing. I do use the self watering pots, but I let them go dry for a week every so often, and I also use a much lighter potting mix in them -- about half perlite and half Pro Mix (soilless mix with peat moss, perlite, vermiculite).

I have 2 nameless African violets that seem to like the self watering pots especially well, and they might do great with your capillary mat tray if you want to try again.... see "Big Blue" and "Purple Star" violets on my leaf trading thread for pics. Keep them in mind if you want to try again..... since they're big, showy, and tough, I generally have plantlets going to give away..... I'd be happy to send them to you!

I know you were venting and probably had no thought of getting replacement plants when you posted, but I had to offer anyway! :-)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, budgielover, I know exactly how you feel...lol
While I know a good deal about how they are "supposed to grow" and what to do with them, I manange to put many to their death frequently.
I decided what other plant could you get for such a small price that is as easily propagated, flowers like crazy and is as much fun to trade. When compared to other flowers we buy they really are an incredible bargin- even if our methods of growing them leave something to be desired....thank goodness there isn't a SPCA for AV's..:) I'd be in big trouble for abuse.

There are so many ways to grow them I hate to see you give up- practice makes perfect ya know.:) I'm currently using an amazing amount of different methods to grow them...some AV's like certain growing conditions. The one thing I know they hate is over watering and I have yet to perfect my method of watering but- when I buy one and when I get it home, I pluck a leaf or two and immediately start a leaf growing a new baby...lol , it's my insurance policy for my lack of ability to grow them well. It seems I can grow healthy babies but as adults - well ... I have fight full results at times. I just refuse to give up.:)

Along with CritterO , I'd be glad to send you some leaves for the postage or trade for something else. I have a few that seem to survive even my nightmarish care , so if you are interested in growing another AV let us knwo - we grow just for the fun of it.

hugs,
MsC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.