Goldenrain tree or goldenchain tree

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I know these are two different trees; what 's the difference?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Lenjo, I have planted one of each. Goldenrain is a hardy tree that grows rapidly and has beautiful yellow flowers that turn into "chinese lantern" pods that look really cool. They grow even in alleys and waste areas of downtown Birmingham, Alabama. Golden chain is shorter-lived, grows more slowly and is more susceptible in my experience to insects and fungus (at least in Alabama). I have several Goldenrain sent to me by the Arbor Day foundation in little bags as a "free gift" and I just stuck them in the ground and they are all growing! Also I grew a goldenrain from seed and in 1 year it was 3 feet tall. Definitely a more satisfying tree for me.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a really nice tree, the goldenrain that is but I don't think it will work in the space that I want to put it. Maybe have to find some other place for one. I would love to have an arboreteum somehwere here on the farm. Do you have seeds, passiflora_pink?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Yup, but they are a couple of years old. I'm sure some will sprout. Send me an email thru DG with your address and I will send some.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Would love it, thanks, Joann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.