That 70s Flower...Ugh!

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

This mystery bearded is one I was invited to dig from a family property late last summer. As all of the flowering had been long over, I had no idea what I was digging. Here is what I got. Just what is it, and does anyone have any suggestions of what to put around it? I had thought of shag carpeting since it reminds me of the rec room colors of my childhood, but maybe someone has a better idea?

Thumbnail by galega
Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

pic is too dark to tell, but looks like Supreme Sultan to me.

This message was edited May 29, 2005 7:46 PM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking either "Supreme Sultan" or "City Slicker", but it's hard to tell from the dark pic. Is the flower really large?

Yep. It's huge, and rusty burgundy with dark gold on the top. Sorry it's dark. Our weather turned cloudy today after a couple of days of sunshine. I'll see if I can Photoshop it....
There - Is that any better?

Thumbnail by galega

Supreme Sultan was introduced in 1987 and City Slicker was introduced in 1989, so if this iris from the 70s then we have it wrong.

Thanks for your help! I am confident that you have identified it. I don't know if it was intruduced in the 70s or not, but the colors are what remind me of the 70s, hence my description. I have other bearded iris from this same property in much prettier colors, and frankly, I was hoping I wouldn't get this color. They were all free, so, as my mother would say, I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My garden has mostly blue, purple, pink and white, and this one looks like the odd ball. Can anyone suggest companion plantings to compliment these unusual colors?

hmm, some of your pastels may work fine with it. Like a lavender foxglove against the purple (if the purple doesn't have too much red in it). Perhaps now that you have identified it, you might want to look at a forum that addresses companion planting or post it in the general forum.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

galega - I think it's beautiful. Of course I'm a 70's Lady so I appreciate the color combination.

Judy

Judy - I am a 70s lady too, but I can't bring myself to embrace these colors again...yet. I know it will grow on me. LOL
Woodspirit1 - That is a good idea about the foxglove. Mine are just coming out, and the peachy one I have might look great. I hadn't though of that. They grow wild here in our woods, and it would be a good way to integrate the wooded border into the iris / pond area.
I saw some photos of red hot poker with this type this morning on DG, and they looked great together. I might have to try that, too. I also visited the Schreiner's website since others had posted about it, and I wanted to see what other irises might look good. Some are so beautiful, and others, like Secret Service, are hard to take (ew!). I ended up placing an order to get a collection of them: Beautiful Vision, Color Me Blue, Dynamite, Fade to Black, Presby's Crown Jewel, Indigo Princess, Monet's Blue, and Merlot. Merlot will probably look great next to this Sultan or City guy, whoever he is.

galega, remember while Schreiner's is a great iris supplier, there are other that are not so expensive. Even Cooley's is not quite that expensive. But I like Enchanted April, Iris Test Garden, Iris City Garden and Sutton's. I'm sure there are many, many more.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I love it! I love plants that make people sit up and take notice. My favorite garden question is: What is that?? and then people are amazed when I tell them. I have a ginger colored iris called Gingersnap that just floors folks when they see it.

Martha

Well, I'm new to irises, and I figure since I got so many mystery ones for free last summer, I could pay 45.95 to get all these new ones in a Schreiner's collection.... I am cheap though, so in the future, I will definitely check out those other sites. Thanks for the tip woodspirit1.
Gardensmart - do you have a photo of that Gingersnap iris? Please post one if you do - I'd love to see what it looks like.-G

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

galega~

On the positive side (of Schreiner's), you will be EXTREMELY happy when you see the quality of the rhizomes that they send to you. I also find that they increase better and bloom faster than almost anywhere else that I order from. Not to say that other breeders aren't great too. I'm just saying that you'll find what you receive to be WELL worth the $45.95 you paid for it!

Hi Flowerfrenzy - do the Schreiner ones usually bloom in the first year after planting, or do they take a year to get established and bloom the following year? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I see you are also from my neck of the woods. How big are the slugs down in in Vancouver?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree about Schreiner's. Although to tell you the truth they are just slightly more than other sites as long as you get to the $80.00 (which turns into $40).
Also, I bought a cultivar from them this year and it only is about 8" tall. I wrote to them and they immediately wrote back saying that I should feed it and if it didn't grow they would send me another one.
And as far as Cooley's, don't be shocked by the prices. Everything with a loving cup beside the name (which is almost everything) is 50% off. I have no idea why they do that. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Cooley's has great collections too.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, almost all of my Schreiner's irises bloom the first season after I plant them, although it's not guaranteed. Some of the re-blooming varieties have even been known to send up a stalk a few weeks after planting. And, no, it's not a dumb question!

As far as slugs go, some of them look big enough to attack Tokyo! :] I find it's the little babies hatching that you have to watch out for!

Doss - I've been having trouble even viewing the Cooley's website. Something must be going on there. I'll make a note to check back to look for the 50% off ones (I love a good plant bargain) thanks for the tip.

Hi Flowerfrenzy, Thanks for the info on the Schreiners ones you have. Now I can't wait to get mine in the mail and find perfect spots for them! I have an acre and a half, so there's lots of room, the problem is, the slugs are big game around here, and I have to go out twice a day hunting them just to keep the plants I have. Mine could definitely launch an assault on Tokyo too! Move over King Kong.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.