Weirdos

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

We've all seen them, I'm sure. In springs with late freezes during stalk development, I see LOTS of them, mostly on MDBs and SDBs, though they do occur in all bearded classes. I thought it might be fun to start a thread of our weirdos. Here are a couple of mine this year.

ADVANCE DESIGN (SDB) usually throws at least a few oddballs each year before it gets around to opening normal blooms. This one has 5 falls and 1 standard.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

AGATHA CHRISTIE (IB) with 4 falls and 2 standards.

Thumbnail by laurief
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If you ever want to trade some of them for any daylilies I have just email me.
You can call them weirdos - we call them beautiful.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Even JOHN (IB) can pull a funny trick out of his homely hat.

Thumbnail by laurief
Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

they are really beautiful and neat!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Weird...I like that in a person ~ irises too!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Not "wierd"--just think "creative" and "living outside the box".

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

LITTLE ANNIE (SDB) hasn't done this before! She opened her first bloom of the season this morning with 5 falls and 5 standards! I didn't count the style arms.

She looks like a pretty painted helicopter blade.

Thumbnail by laurief
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

More weirdness ~ I love it!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

TYKE (MTB) wanted to get in on the fun, too!

Thumbnail by laurief
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Laurie - I'm jealous. That's all - just jealous. I want to get in on the fun, too!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Laurie, do you get some of these every year?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, I get some every year. This year we had an inordinate number of late freezes during bud development, so I'm seeing a lot more of these than usual.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Laurie~

I get my share of wierdos, especially in the SDB/MDB department and we don't have many, if any, freezes. What do you think could account for it in my zone?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I haven't a clue, Laura. Perhaps anything that stresses an iris during bud development can cause such abberations. I always just figured it was weather-related here, since I get a whole lot more of them when late freezes occur.

On the flip side, I also figure that when blooms open with missing flower parts toward the end of a cv's bloom cycle, it is the result of the plant simply running out of energy to produce the full 3+3.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That's true. I was pregnant last year and didn't divide my "Coming Up Roses". This year, it produced many flowers with NO standards and 2-3 falls! Woops! :]

Laurie gets polypetals and I get distorted shapes & ugly colors. Some people have all the luck.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

LOL! Wanda, just because I didn't start a thread titled, "Too Ugly for Words", doesn't mean I'm not seeing any in my iris beds this year. ;-)

Port Costa, CA

Here is one drop dead gorgeous freak; Starship Enterprise with 4 falls!

Thumbnail by Merlie
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's already gorgeous enough, and then you got extra!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I feel left out I don't have any weidos.I think they are great though.If anyone is going to pitch them I'd pay postage.I love strange things.I have a dandalion with 3 flowers on it and a huge hollow stem,wish i would have found it before it went to seed.Jody

Thumbnail by JodyC

Merlie--WOW!!!! i wish I could have seen the Starship enterprise you sent me bloom this year. Only one stalk & Walker the Wonderdog broke it before it bloomed. Between klate freezes & Wlker, it's been a tough spring for seeing my newest babies bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.