Dissectum Japanese Maple

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

We would love to make a red laceleaf Japanese maple the specimen focal point of the landscaped pathway to our front door. The probem is that our house faces west, which means the maple would be subjected to full afternoon sun from early afternoon until late afternoon/early evening. Another potential complicating factor is that the tree would be about 8 ft. from the house, so it would also get all of that reflected heat off of the house wall. All the people I have contacted who sell the maples say "no problem" --- but I am skeptical. Has anybody had any success with Japanese maples in this type of placement? We will want the tree to thrive - not just survive.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

It depends on the tree you get and your climate. Here in Colorado, J.Maples cannot handle full sun any time. But we live at a high altitude and havd sun 300 days a year. Our full sun is superfull sun. But in Ohio it could very well be different. Check with your extension service. They may be able to tell you more.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Our weeping Japanese maple is eight feet from the house but in a South facing position. Very little shade and it seems to thrive. I think it is 15 years old...

Here's something from the OSU extension that may be of interest http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1057.html

good luck. t

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7a)

We have a j. maple "garnet" beside our small man-made fish pond. It is on the west side of our property, in full sun. It is doing very well. We keep it well-watered, though, and I would suggest the same for you if you are concerned about the heat.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I grow them in full sun, but as Mobi said you must get the right cultivar. May I suggest Acer p. 'Seriyu'..it is a very tough green laceleaf (as a rule they usually need shade) or A. p. 'Emperor 1', not a laceleaf, but a very dark red variety hybridized to keep it's color in heat. A lovely 15' tree. I live in a very hot climate (2-3 weeks of over 100 degrees in summer!) but I grow them in sun by CAREFULLY preparing the soil and making sure their soil stays lightly moist all the time. I amend a very large hole (48" x 48" minimum) with lots of forest humus to create a nice acidic soil base. When I pot them I use "Azalea Camellia Mix" straight from the bag. If it is wet in winter where you live, plant the tree slightly high so the crown will be up out of the soggy soil. If you plan on drip irrigating, place 3 large drippers around the root ball, this keeps it evenly moist. Even so, when it's hot here, I place a hose under the tree with a sprinkler head and turn the water on to make a 48" circle of moisture under the tree. Then I let it run for an hour.....I do this several times during the summer. Hope this helps.

K

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Have seen many Japanese Cutleaf Maples in full sun and close to a house without any problems. Of course that assumes proper watering and mulching. They are used in almost every new landscape installation in this area and I rarely see probelms. Most common problem...huge specimens that have been left unpruned and turned into a massive ball with no shape. I would love to go around and secretely hand prune these 'specimens' and make them beautiful again!!! LOL...I would never do that but I sure wish someone would.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.