HELP: Something is eating my Hollyhock's

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone else here in Michigan have this problem.....some bug of sorts is eating the leaves of my hollyhocks....I have checked under the leaves, but can't find anything.....what can I put on them so they don't have these holes in them....

Deann

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Just thought of this after I sent out my request for help, but just took a picture of the leaves....

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Deann.. I am pretty sure it is either a Japanese beetle, or a caterpillar of some sort. The damage looks to be mostly cosmetic, though. Is this the first year you have had these plants in this location. And is this the first time you have had this problem?

If you are into chemicals, spray them.. I am not really a killer, more of a lover, so I would just plant something in front of the Hollyhocks to hide the foliage until the blooms start. :)

Nick

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I think I read somewhere that the larvae of some butterflies like hollyhocks.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Perhaps Flea Beetles, spray with Rotonene.

Paul

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Paul......I will get over to the new super Walmart they built in Tawas tomorrow and get me some Rotonene.......thanks..

Nick, I have had Hollyhocks for years, and this is first year they have started to chew on them......as I said...I checked the underbody of the leaf, and no bugs there....and we have never ever had Japanese Beetles before....I really don't like to use chemicals but I am not gonna have these &^%#@ bugs eat my flowers...

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

I hear you Deann! I have something eating my Obedient Plant... but hasn't touched anything else... goofy-a$$ bugs! My Obedient actually looks a lot like your Hollyhocks, small holes in the leaves. Whatever is eating it, started really early in the season, it barely had leaves when the holes started showing up.

Karen

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Hollyhocks seem to be bug and rust magnets. :(

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Cottage Rose.....Rotonene did the trick.....good stuff.....thanks Paul...

Deann

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Good DA!
I'm experimenting with non-toxic Neem this year.
Will report to you guys later on how it works.
It repels/kills(?) bugs and is an antifungal.

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

Howdee friends. I have a question about my alliums. Last year was my first spring to have them. They bloomed just beautiful. This spring they were a lot smaller in size, the blooms. The two smaller ones which are the pink ones that look like fireworks when they bloom were not well either. In fact one produced the foilage but no bloom. We did have that heavy frost late in the year that spoiled a lot of blooms. Anyone else had these problems with their purple globe alliums? Do I need to dig them up each year. Thanks for the help.

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

hey Deann, the only problem I have ever had with my hollyhocks are the japaneese beetles. They feast on my hollyhocks. They will start to come around about the end of this month through July. I hate the thought of it. The really tear a garden up and purple plum leaves also. They love roses and anything red. How have you been? We are doing fairly well with our little pond. It is running and we have the fish in it. Now the landscaping around here. We have been enjoying the cooler weather this week and gardening is a joy in this weather.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Francee........My giant Alliums bloomed last year for the the first time, and I noticed they were not as big as the first year, also, had alot of yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant.

Deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.