What's the verdict
Thanks
Dovey

Thumbnail by dovey
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

and how about the Pinwheel Gardenia?

Thumbnail by dovey
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Eeekk! I know that horrid bug on it is a spotted cucumber beetle! I've got tons of them. :( Look on Friend or Foe #2 thread for some suggestions to get rid of them. There is also another thread that has a recipe for a zucchini mixture to try.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Really... ACK!
I thought it might be a green ladybug, I've seen quite a few in my garden and have let them be.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya dovey,

first pic, not just normal but Wow what growth.

second pic is the Western SpottedCucumber Beetle, konkreteblond had it right. He/She is only visiting, probably intoxicated by the scent of the bloom...lol.

WSCB is more of a threat to your roses than the Gardenia, they are notorious bud marauders.

best,
Don

Neem oil is the best defense.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I just went out and swatted a bunch of those beetles into some soapy water, then squished more. I wish mine were just visiting! They seem to be enjoying the stay instead. I read to plant radishes and marigolds to repel them, but I saw one on a marigold yesterday. If they don't go away soon, I'm ready to plant radishes.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

What a relief about my sago.
The only thing different in my treatment is the wonder drug "Alfala Tea"
I hasn't grown that much since we potted it almost 2 years ago.

The cucumber beetle doesn't do any harm roses and such?

Here's another photo of it "visiting" Cary Grant

Thumbnail by dovey
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya dovey,

yes they do some damage to roses We don't fight them because we've got predators for them, but Neem oil works great on these guys. Normally they just visit, take a few bites and move on, so Neem works as a repellent more than a killer. There is some data stating that it does wild things with bug DNA transfer causing mutation or sterility, but that is yet unproven.

best,
Don

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I watched them for a couple of days and they didn't seem to be doing anything but sniffing around. I'll just knock them off and see it that sends them on their way.
If I'm feeling real mean I'll squish 'em.

I'm totally bummed over the thrips

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

drdon, what predators do you have that eat the cucumber beetles? I have a lot of natural predators, but so far nothing has taken a liking to these. The insecticidal soap that I use doesn't kill or bother them. Neither did the citrus oil mixture, soap and water, garlic pepper spray or water with wood ashes. They are like the Energizer rabbit. These are chowing down on some Candytuft that my neighbor started from seed and gave to me. They haven't been able to bloom, barely budding, because of these pests. I'm wondering if I get rid of the Candytuft if they will just leave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.