Awaiting its opening!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I planted these Datura seeds at the end of March..and been waiting and watching these buds ..hoping now to miss the big event

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Then awhile back I saw this happening!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

This morning I spied this..I HAVE 3~~!! Can hardly wait..do ya think it will open this evening??

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Sure looks like a possibility it will open about 7:00 this evening. Please get that "cucumber" beetle off it, he will chew holes. Good luck!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hibiscus.."Cucumber Beetle"?..So that is what is making them thar holes..LOL..I am anti-chemicals in my garden..would spraying with soap get rid of them?...Can you recommend an Organic Solution?..Tia...Jeanne

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Can't hurt to try soap, won't hurt your plant, if that doesn't do it, will have to go for the bigger "guns". Ha

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the look of datura flowers. Good luck!!

And good luck with your cucumber beetles. Soap won't help I am afraid. They are terrible. They go inside the flower and eat and eat. I just found them on lots of my brugs down in a garden I have. I have the western spotted cucumber beetle. The spotted kind we have fall striaght down at the first sign of of a predator like me and they can take off in flight midfall. So when you go to grab it be fast. I squish them!! Then I use Bayer for Tree and Shrubs to kill the hidden little suckers.

This may be of interest to you
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/cucumberbeetle.html

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Pyrithrin sprays aren't too bad,, you can squirt the plant or squirt the insect

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Being my first time I ran out at 7:30 to look..guess My datura doesn't know that It's daylight savings time..LOL..and this is what I saw

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

So every 15 minutes I looked until at 8:30 I saw them open

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

and it really does have a faint sweet smell..

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL jeanne Im getting a kick out of your excitement! Very nice bloom.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Jeanne,

Here's a link to a Cucumber Beetle Insecticide you might want to try first.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/514072/

Good Luck with killing them. Your bloom is beautiful

Judy

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Well ..just call me a dummy..since I have never grown Datura in my Gardens..I thought I had to run out last night to see the bloom..but woke up this morning and they are still open!!..Its 10:13am..how long do the blooms last?...TIA...Jeanne

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Once mine bloomed last year Jeanne, they stayed open all day then another batch opened up the following night. They aren't like Brugs...so they stay open all during the day as well. My neighbors loved Dats better last year than they did my brugs lol! I can't say that this year though :-)

Your's is lovely !!!!

Hugs
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.