Help keep my Wife happy! Jasmine question

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

When picking up some plants at the local HD my wife said she would like to grow some of the "Star" Jasmine they had. I purchased the plant (she seldom asks for garden space) but now I need to know where to plant it. Do they prefer full sun, partial shade, full shade? Do I need to put up latice or something for it to grow on?
I live on the line betwen 8-b and 9-a (means 8-b winters and 9-a summers) will this plant grow well here? Thanks for any help given.
George in San Antonio

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Is star jasmine "J. polyanthum"? If so, it is hardy in zones 9-10, likes full sun to part shade, blooms spring to summer. I think Frannie has that one growing in Houston.

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Usually the jasmine I see identified as star jasmine is Trachelospermum jasminoides, also known as confederate jasmine, and easily distinguished by its uniquely shaped flowers.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55230/index.html

But you never know with common names.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

The "Star Jasmine" I got from Home Depot is Jasminum nitidum"star". The flowers are not stars though. They have 10-12 petals per flower and ever since I stopped giving it too much water is has been covered with flowers. The card said Full sun, water regularly as needed, average height x width 6'-8' T x 6'-8'W, cold hardiness 40-30 degrees F.

I've got it in a 24" pot and with it's cold hardiness, it will havre tospend some time in the house this winter. Not looking forward to wrestleing it around, but I'll have to if I want to keep it alive. I swore I wouldn't buy anymore plants that were not good down to 20, but it was just covered with pretty flowers......

Like you said, you never know with common names. Ed

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have a jasmine nitidum blooming now. It's also sold as J. illicifolium. It survived 26* much better than my Jasmine Rex! It has a softer scent than most jasmines. You will notice some of the branches will grow really long and twine, while some will stay short and multibranched and shrubby. It doesn't hurt to prune it back if it gets out of hand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.