Nun's Orchid

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I know this isn't the "regular orchid" but she has had a tough year and she's back to blooming and I wanted to share somewhere.

She was bought a year ago in March and that was the last time she bloomed. She was planted then, in March, dug up in September and replanted in October. I am so happy she's back!!!!!

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Kirbyville, TX(Zone 8b)

I love my Nun's orchid (PHAIUS TANKERVILLIAE (GRANDIFOLIUS) it's an orchid, and deserves it's own amount of respect, besides is there such a thing as a regular orchid?.... lol~
...glad to see you're enjoying yours again...mine bloomed once this spring, and I'm hoping for another spike....Debra~

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

She's looking good Molly!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Miss Molly.....where was that beauty hiding?

Hap, Next to (and kinda behind) the bronze and green fennel in the herb garden. It has looked like palm grass for the longest time. Finally so happy to see the blooms.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How often are they suppose to bloom?

FYI....I tendered my writen resignation yesterday, efc 6/17.....Do Lunch?

Then the next day I take off for DD in Chicago...Can't wait...Tell you all the detail of retirement when I see you.....How about this weekend sometime? Sunday???????

Sunday sounds great Nancy

The rain was hard and long today, but so many plants like the rain better than well water. More flowers and a better view.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The orchids are pretty, but the picture is great.....

Thank you Nancy (((blush))) I have been trying to do better at my picture taking.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

pretty flowers, MollyMc!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I missed her!!!!!!!

Thank you RUK.

Nancy, I forgot. My yard isn't that big but I have so many things growing in so many different sections, we didn't spend much time looking at the herb garden and that's where this one is.

Imagine if it had been a snake, we walked right by it to look at the hostas around the corner.

:^))))

Tampa, FL

Hi all,
I'm new to orchids as well as this website. Can I ask you all a question about this type of Nun's orchid? I have one just like on the pic that's shown by Miss Molly. After it finished blooming I didn't cut the spike, and now the spike carries some bulds (look like seed). What can I do with these seeds? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TGuy,

If they look like seeds, leave them on until they have dried on the stalk. Then take them and plant them and see if they grow.

If you have a fear they might dry and get away from you, you can take a zip lock baggie, put it over the pod and zip it. this will contain any runaway wannabes.

Oh yes, can you post a photo of them here? I would really like to see. This plant bloomed in April of last year and I knew nothing about seeds then. Learning a lot now, every day.

Thanks,
Molly

Oh my goodness, my manners TampaGuy, Welcome Welcome Welcome to Dave's Garden. So glad to have you here!!!!!

Molly
:^))))

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Welcome to Dave's Garden Tampaguy! You'll meet a lot of great people here.

Veronica :-)

Tampa, FL

I will take your advice and try to plant them. Thank you so much for your input and I will try to post the photo here in the next few days.

Thank you .....Thank you .....Molly and Veronica for your warm welcome. I already found two great people here in the first day...... I hope I will learn about how to grow orchid from you all. Thanks again.

Nam

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Molly, chatted with a neighbor of your, (your area) and artcons would like to hook-up...He,"?" needs 4" pots...I have some I said I would bring...He said bring your cuttings bag...Guess he likes to share...Told him that I was going to Chicago until the 22 but would be in touch after that. Are you interested? I'm always ready for coffee..... how about it?

Tampaguy,,,,,welcome, welcome.....I'm a misfit here....I belong to the coleus forum. We are a great group too. So much info and pics there.....Come see..... Also to meet friends, try the "parking lot" forum, "Coffee &...." something like that anyway....all chatty people and a riot. It's a laugh a post..

Hap

Sure Hap,

His name is Artcons? I can spare some 4 inch pots, just have to crawl under the gym and drag them out. I love that space under there. Can store pots and stuff, out of sight, and out of mind.

How'd you hook up with him? I've been dmailing all broward county newbies. Don't hear back though.

22nd is a long time away Nancy. We drink coffee before then.

Molly

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I am going to Chicago on the 18-22...that's why....

Okey Dokey.

Tampa, FL

Hi Molly,
Here is the photo of the nun's orchid seed pod. Sorry, the photo is not clear but you still can see how it looks like. Thanks
Nam

Thumbnail by Tampaguy

Nam,

Well no way I'm gonna miss those if they appear. I still have blooms. I'll watch for those pods. I hope I get some. I would really like to try these from seeds.

Thanks for showing this to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.