Datura Disinterest

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

can someone sell me on the benefits of owning a Brugmansia? I find them attractive but i always see them out of control and they strike me as very invasive. Am i making this up?

This message was edited May 27, 2005 11:29 AM

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Hmmm....Maybe where you are the conditions are right for it to be invasive. Here they are an Annual and rarely seem to self seed!! I always have to start with seed in Spring when the ground warms up. You could easily keep it from self-seeding by clipping off the seed pods long before the seeds are ready=while green. As soon as the flower falls off, the plant begins to form the seed pod. You could clip them off right then and prevent all that mess!! hehehe They are beautiful but so far I have not found one which is fragrant in a pleasant way and do prefer Brugmansia in many ways!! But like Brugmansia there are several different kinds of Datura so I think they are worth the little bit of extra effort it might cost you?!! I planted several kinds this year and an anxiously awaiting them to grow. It has been unseasonably cool here this year, plus we moved into a house which has trees everywhere so a LOT more shade than I am used to. All probably factors is why I do not have Datura plants yet?? Or maybe I am just even more impatient this year than usual?!! hehehe Good Luck!! I hope you do not skip an enjoyable plant when the problems can be avoided with a little effort.

Bonnie :)

Hmm. Can anyone suggest unusual or particularly attractive/scented variaties?

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Are you talking about brugmansia or datura? Two different plants... I can't see brugmansia as being invasive - they grow fast but not that fast and aren't self fertile, so if you don't have more then one kind/hybrid you won't ever get seeds. Daturas - I've heard of something called "Jimson Weed" or something of the like that is a datura sp. which maybe is invasive in certain areas, but in general, I've not heard of the cultivated types being invasive. They can reseed of you don't pick the pods.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Datura are thugs and I do not grow them. Brugs stay where you put them mostly. I have more problems with them getting toasted in our weather. They are easily pruned.

Brugmansia.. i was under the impression they were in the Datura family.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

FROGRUS beg to differ with you.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh how I wish Brugs were invasive here!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

You should expand a comment like that, TARogers so we know what your thoughts are... ;)

naien, Brugs and Dats are closely related and at one point were part of the same genus. A little bit back (don't know how long ago), brugs were deemed genetically different enough that they should be in their own genus.

Ozark, AL(Zone 8b)

In the family, yes. But they are very different, as are BlueBirds and BlueJays. They cannot breed togeather, and while there are many similarities, there are also big differences.

I am crazy about brugs, (Brugmansia) but Datura I want nothing to do with. They are (my opinion only mind you) very weedy looking, short lived, and the spines on the seed pods can be painful when handled.

Many love both.

To me (my opinion only) Brugs are stately, easily pruned to tropical tree or large impressive free form bush, are lovely from year to year, and the pods are attractive and painless to handle or dispose of, if not wanted. The flowers are so very fragrant, in so many colors, and are hanging or nodding instead of only pointing up.
Actually, Datura reminds me of large thistles; some are attractive, but I do not want them growing in my gardens.
Those who do, most certainly should!

Thumbnail by lagata2
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

ROTF

dats can be invasive depending on where you live
I saw a whole big clump of them down in PA that were there every year and it was in a vacant lot so I don't think anyone was planting them there

I have one in my yard that reseeds every year and gets HUGE
but I don't feel its invasive
Bishops weed-invasive
obedient plant-invasive
daturas........not invasive way up here,anoying at times
but if too many come up from seed,yank-um
its not like they have runners

Heck,my maples are more prolific than my Dats

has anyone had the double purple and double yellow reseed and become invasive?

if so send'um this way....LOL

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Ducking froggie, I did not say they were not pretty. They just want more of my garden than i am willing to share with them. Ca postage stamp gardens do not allow for it.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Sorry:
Will enlarge on it.
Brugs dont like the Texas, Oklahoma sun
Brugs dont like clay soil
Brugs love to attract all kinds of bugs.
Dats love the sun and more of it.
Grow in about anything and hate too much water.

I grow both of them and like them both.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Gosh, Daturas are just like husbands & kids, you gotta keep them in check. lol lol

Judy

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have grown Dats a lot longer than Brugs and love both. The white one does get out of hand and you have to collect all seed pods or pull seedlings like a maniac come spring. I cannot think of the name right off but that lavender one with the dark center and leaves that look like maples, self seed all over too. I think that one is worse cuz the flowers are tiny and it doesn't even smell good! I have never had a problem with the other purples or yellow self seeding but I'm in zone 6 also. I do let my Evening Fragrance leave some seeds behind because they smell every bit as good as the brugs and boy does the scent waft on the breeze!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Now I am confused. I don't know which one I have.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Please post a picture so someone can assist you.

Judy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

There's no flower now, just the seed pods. I will take picture this weekend.

Thank you,

Eliza

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

if the seed pod is round and pokey you have a datura. if its long and slender with some plumpness then its a brug.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine is a brug, right? It has single yellow flower.

~Eliza~

Thumbnail by kateliza_id
Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, that's a pod Kateliza, and it looks as though your pod is ready to be plucked off, split open and dried up on some paper towels :-) Love the nice, healthy leaves!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

yes its a brug and looks great

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Cool, now I have one more kind of seed to trade or to share.

Thanks

~Eliza~

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

lol Kate, yes you do!

i recieved a brug from the socal RU and i now know i had the two confused... so, does anyone have any triple or double whites seeds or cuttings?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.