Best Organic KILL

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

for sow/pill bugs ? And please don't tell me they are harmless. I AM addressing the existing over moist soil conditions which lead to the problem,but the abundances of "shrimp" digging into the roots of EVERY plant in my garden is definitely a problem. I have been hand picking for 3 weeks which has helped a lot and Safer soaps do nothing. I need a big gun. Ideas?
A.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I think chickens eat them? Maybe fish do too?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I lay their nesting spot bare when I can, then walk away and let the birds come feast. But they are so annoying where I am trying to plant, and I think they eat the seeds sometimes! GRRRRR... So I would like to know how to get rid of them too... I even introduced several terrapins last year, and I know I have a few horny toads, but still too many sow bugs...

Next year, I promise myself, I WILL have guineas...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

There's been success controlling pill bugs with Diatect V: it's a mixture of diatomaceous earth and pyrethrin, without the piperonyl butoxide. And it's certified organic. Use a duster like dustin mizer to apply it. Wear a mask over your nose & mouth. Good luck!

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much everyone!
I know about the chicken longing ! I will definitely try
Diatect V, I was leaning towards D.E. but its so foggy and moist here i wondered about constant reapplication.
I've done the hand picking and the half grapefruits (ewwww) but I am getting tired on the battlefield and they are winning the war. They definitely devour seedlings(2 pacs of green bean seeds,2 pacs cuke,edemame galore)and worst of all they aren't insects they are shrimp! (ewww again).I will mail order some Diatect v today!!! Thanks
Annie

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I am brewing some tomato leaves today. I wonder if the spray would kill them? I will give it a try and let you know... meanwhile, I will be looking around for the Diatect V, sounds like I may need that on hand LOL

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Tamara,

Brewing tomato leaves? Please tell us more.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

hi All..
Tamara..how did it go?
Thought you all might enjoy this : (Jefe)
http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/homemadepestcontrol.html

This message was edited Jun 1, 2005 7:39 AM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

How perfect! I didn't do mine exactly right, didn't chop the leaves, and didn't dilute. Have been waiting for it to quit raining and threatening to rain so I could try it. I will certainly report back. Some of my watermelon seeds haven't come up yet, and I suspect those pill bugs! This spray is great to do when you prune the lower leaves off your plants!

Will post part of that link here:

"Tomato Leaf Spray
Plants belonging to the nightshade family, like tomatos, potatoes and tobacco, have significant amounts of toxic compounds called alkaloids in their leaves. These toxins are water soluble and can be soaked from chopped leaves and made into home-made sprays. Their toxicity, however, may account for only part of their effectiveness. The sprays also attract natural pest enemies that follow powerful chemicals in these plants as cues in searching for prey.
Protection Offered: Tomato leaf sprays have been used to protect plants from aphids. Also, spraying tomato leaf spray can reduce cutworm damage. A scientific study
has shown that plants sprayed with tomato leaf spray attracted significantly more Trichogramma wasps to parasitize moth eggs than the unsprayed plants did.
How to Make: Soak 1 to 2 cups of chopped or mashed tomato leaves in 2 cups of water overnight. Strain through cheesecloth or fine mesh, add about 2 more cups of water to the strained liquid, and spray.
How to Use: Spray plants thoroughly, particularly undersides of lower leaves and growing tips where aphids congregate. While this spray is not poisonous to humans on contact, use care in handling, especially if you are allergic to the nightshade family. "

According to another user, DrewnCorrin, it would only take 1/3 cup of this liquid, taken orally to KILL you --- so be sure your family knows what you are brewing on the stove. I let mine simmer a LONG time, and it smelled like cabbage sorta.

Tamara

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Annie and Tamara,

As Johnny Carson used to say, "That's some weird and wacky stuff."

Has anyone actually seen evidence to confirm this statement: "Also, spraying tomato leaf spray can reduce cutworm damage." I wonder because cutworms will cut off tomatoes and the ones that climb up, will eat the leaves. What happens in the brewing process to make them avoid it?

Killer tomato leaves...I am growing a potential WMD in my backyard? Cool!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

What is WMD?

weird and wacky would describe my garden...

frankly, i wonder if the tea would work on tomato plants, I think it is for everything else. try pepper spray on tomato plants, recipe is at the link above. If it does kill them, it would be because it is so concentrated. Remember, it not only kills, distracts, and confuses the pests, but also attracts their predators...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Tamara, Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, dear, can we say that here? =)

Moorhead, MN(Zone 4a)

Oops maybe not. I received bad intelligence reports.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

Well I for one NEED wmd in my yard!
The pill bugs definitely eat seedlings Tamara..i find them all clumped on top of my new beans and cuke buds..balancing on freshly topped seedlings!
DrDon (a DG'ner) Suggests that diatec V really is a BIG gun for organics,that the pyrethrin will kill bees etc,so he suggests starting with the plain old D.E.
My soil is so moist I am not sure it will work. I don't have enough leaves on my maters yet to make tomato leaf spray...when did you start your tomatos tamara?
Jefe..my worms and bin came today..I will be setting it up...I will not water for a few days and spray the D.E. around..I will let you guys know....
I actually have HAD a post censored here at DG so they must allow WMD or it would be gone! ;-) Annie

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 7:19 AM

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 7:19 AM

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

A smaller 'Gun' is the botanical pesticide derived from the seeds of the Sabadilla lily (Schoenocaulon officinale). It is sold under a variety of trade names that escape me..so many things do.. The active ingredient is the derived alkaloid Veretrine. It is quickly broken down by sunlight and is considered a very low toxicity pesticide (LD50 of 4000-5000 mg/kg).

For those more interested in repelling that killing, a good experiment is Hot Pepper Wax or Garlic Barrier. These two materials are known to be successful in repelling a number of pests under a variety of cultural conditions, i.e.; wet soils. These two materials have also, along with the botanical pesticide Neem, shown some fungicidal properties as well.

Using napalm as a first resort is often a dangerous practice in that something, possibly worse, will fill the void left by the targeted vector without any competition. To use a common Catholic axiom "Anything in moderation", however I don't suggest you molest the pests, just send them to bug purgatory.

best,
Don

Berkeley, CA(Zone 10a)

"frankly, i wonder if the tomato tea would work on tomato plants,"<>>
hmmm drDon ?

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 11:08 AM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Well, I didn't spray any on my tomato plants, and it worked on everything else, found a mexican bean beetle on a tomatoe plant! So guess what I will be spraying next time! He is going to bug purgatory LOL

Will make some garlic spray when I get a chance. Guess I should blame the pill bugs and not the weather for my lack of watermelon plants, and slow going squash!!!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello guys, I have used a very effective remedy for pill bugs or rolley polleys.
The remedy is wood ashes, scatter the ashes around the base ot the plants and they will not cone close. They don't like the lime, I think it destroys them.
I once had some beautiful strawberrys that were being chewed by them, after the ashes all was fine.
Give it a try, nothing to lose.
Josephine.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I've got a bucket or two sitting around. Just might do that around my cantaloupe seedlings, since it appeared they ate most of the watermelon seedlings. They congregate around the young squash, but can't see they do any harm... thanks frostweed!

Now, if wood ash has lime in it, would it also have magnesium? Just curious...

Tamara, woodashes have about 7% potash and 1.5 % phosphorous and of course many other trace elements. My book did not detail the others.
Josephine.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I sprinkled some around a new bed, and they skidaddled!

Allright! hope it helps with other beds too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.