japanese iris

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Seems that I may limit my involvement in japanese iris unless I find a better way to care for them. They require wet conditions during the summer and not wet during the winter. Seems that will be hard to do unless you pot them in the pond during summer and remove for winter?

I have a few dutch iris bulbs that need to go somewhere if anyone is interested in trading something for them. maybe 2 or 3 of 3 diff kinds?

thanks
charlotte

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

JIs don't have to be grown in water in the summer. In fact, they really shouldn't be. They do like ample water, esp. pre-bloom, but they can do just fine in a well mulched perennial border in acid soil.

JIs will suffer after a few years in the same soil, though, so be prepared to move them every few years to fresh soil or grow them in large pots so you can change the soil and regulate its pH more easily.

Laurie

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank you Lauie, I thought I had read somewhere that they should never be allowed to dry out and I knew I couldnt meet those conditions.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

JIs should never be allowed to dry out when out of the ground, and they will do best planted in an area where the soil can be kept consistently moist. A good mulch will do much to retain adequate soil moisture, but you may need to water the JIs periodically to supply moisture if it doesn't rain regularly.

Laurie

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi all, I am a new iris addict and have been posting some pictures on Tinkers. Laurief has given me some great pointers. Thanks so much Laurie! I haven't peeked over here in a while (busy gardening time as you all must be having too - LOL!) The amount of iris info here is amazing!! I don't have many Japanese iris or Louisianas but plan on tilling and planting a LOT more this year. Here is a picture of SPRINGTIME PRAYERS which is blooming now

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone!

We have many Japanese Irises and my question concerns dividing them. I just ended up in the hospital from trying (sucessfully) to remove two chunks to send to Kaleem in Pakistan.

Is there any easy way to divide old clumps that grew fast. Seems like I'm trying to dig through cement with a cheap plastic spoon but actually was using three different serrated knives (different sizes) and then a saw that can take going through dirt and roots. I will never do it again. It is not worth the last ten days of terrible pain and I don't know how much more is to come!

I do adore them and know, now, to divide while they're manageable.

Arlene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.