aphids on honeysuckle

Stirling, NJ(Zone 6a)

My domesticated (not wild) honeysuckle, every year, has the first blooms eaten off by grey/black aphids. I tried buying ladybug babies but they either didn't survive or left town. How do I get rid of them, the aphids, WITH OUT hurting the hummingbirds that come to dine? I am thinking that maybe I have to get rid of the hybrid honeysuckle and replace it with the wild type which doesn't seem to be affected by the aphids.
Any ideas greatly appreciated. With a certified backyard wildlife habitat I am afraid to use any chemicals.

Thumbnail by quaqbe
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I've read that if you spray them with a water hose that has a strong pressure "it deters them". I tried this on my hydrangea and so far it is doing better.

Stirling, NJ(Zone 6a)

WOW...I had no idea that I would get a response so quickly, thanks. I am willing to try just about anything..............so here I go splish, splash. LOL

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Here's what I found about water spray.
"Aphid populations can be reduced by washing the terminals of sturdy plants, such as shrubs and trees, with strong water sprays from a garden hose. Aphids on house/garden plants may be removed by cleaning the stems in your fingers or brushing with cotton swabs dipped in water or alcohol."

from this site
http://ag.udel.edu/extension/information/hyg/hyg-20.htm

I also ordered a lot of ladybugs - we shall see if they stay to do a better job. I also ordered nematodes due to a grub problem in my lawn. I think it is kinda of gross that you can mail order bugs but if they work......

I don't want to use chemicals either. Because the kill the good with the bad.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I spray them off my roses with water. Works great but you have to be diligent with it.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

The thing I don't like about the spraying with water method is that the pressure has to be hard to knock them off and sometimes it beats up the plant. Maybe they are more resiliant than I think tho. Sometimes I personally enjoy putting on my garden rubber gloves and just SMUSHING them. :)

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Cotton swabs & alcohol has worked well for me in the past. So does the squishing with your fingers.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I like to smoosh them too, that way I know they arnt coming back because i missed with the hose. Yucky knowing I got dead bugs on my fingers but my plants look much better . I have the same problem with my Goldflame honeysuckle and if I dont keep up with it the blooms just fizzle out and dosnt look very good at all, so Im out there squishin' at least every other day. Ive noticed that if I keep up with it the y arnt as bad as the year I didnt notice them at all till it was almost too late.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.