Spacing for trellised cukes...

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm growing Straight 8, Chinese Yellow, and Delikatesse cukes up a netted trellis. Anyone know how they should be spaced? All the sites I see give spacing for sprawling plants.

thanks!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Mine are about 10" apart. They seem to be doing very well. I am having some difficulty getting one plant to cooperate, though. :) It seems to have a mind of it's own.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

How do you mean cooperate? You mean it won't thread up the trellis?

Or it won't take out the garbage? Those darn cukes... :)

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

Being in an urban location where space is a premium, I've always grown my cucumbers on homemade trellises made from old border fencing and some extruded aluminum posts. My spacing has always been about 12" but I'm sure 10" would work just as well. The most important thing is rich organic soil. I have a roll of green vinyl "twist tie" material with built in cutter from my garden center that I use to train them up the fencing when they refuse to cooperate. The vines continually throw out side shoots that need to be tied throughout the season.

Rich

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I planted mine 6 inches apart last year, on both sides of the trellis. I can tell you, that was TOO close. They spread like crazy, didn't cooperate (just throwing themselves on the ground constatnly), and didn't get good air circulation, came down with downy mildew...

My fence was only 4 foot high, so if yours is higher, you could put them closer.

This year, I am using hoops. Hope it works better. Also, I read (too late to help me last year) that in order to focus on fruit development, you should keep the plant from getting longer than 3 foot. Do this by pinching off the budding end of the plant after it gets 3 foot long, or in your case, to the end of the trellis.

I can't get any of my vegetables to help with household chores! They sure don't train well... :-)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

So I should start pinching this guy off?

Thumbnail by araness
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

NO,no,no, NO PINCHING ALLOWED till after they begin to make cucumbers. Unless you have run out of room, maybe I should take a closer look at your photo...

... it looks like you have a wire cage around it, so there is plenty more room for it to spread around...

You have a VERY nice weekend. I gotta go mow...

This message was edited May 28, 2005 3:00 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.