columbine virus??

Willow, AK(Zone 3a)

Can anyone tell me if this is a virus or some other disease affecting my columbine? If it is, what can I do to combat it? I love this plant and really don't want to lose it. Thanks.

Thumbnail by Gr8LndMick
Willow, AK(Zone 3a)

Another view.

Thumbnail by Gr8LndMick
(Zone 4a)

I don't know what the problem is, but I suggest
you cut off the infected leaves and burn them.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

and clean your sheers between each cut and after you're done with 50% water and 50% bleach solution just in case.

Willow, AK(Zone 3a)

Thanks. I will do that.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Are they in full sun? It looks a bit like sunburn.

Willow, AK(Zone 3a)

Some are and some aren't in full sun so I don't think it is that. I have been trying to do my own research. According to Michigan State University Extension columbines are affected by cucumber mosaic virus. Does anyone know what this looks like? I have never seen the stuff. Could it be that?
Thanks.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have lots of columbines and have never seen anything like that before.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Mick, my columbine here in Seward do the same thing late in the season. Mostly the ones that are in pots on my tables. I think it could be the late summer rains or perhaps be a result of aphids. Maybe we should submit your picture to the Extension Service to see what they have to say.

Willow, AK(Zone 3a)

Sorry Weez, I just read your post today. I contacted AK Master Gardeners and got several suggestions from them. One person said that it looked like a deficency in magnesium and suggested that I try adding some epsom salt to the soil. I did so and that seemed to take care of the problem. It helped my columbines and also seemed to stop the reddening of some of the leaves on my pigsqueaks. I just sprinkled it on the soil and then watered well.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

epsom salt???? wow, never heard of using this in your gardens, :) Man the things you learn here on DG. I love this site.
cg

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Lots of things benefit from Epsom salt! I use it when I plant tomatoes and also water brugs, tomatoes and peppers and others with it.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the followup, cg. It's a bit late in the season here now, but next year I'll give it a try. Maybe aquilegia have a high magnesium requirement that depletes the soil, and by fall the deficiency begins to harm my plants. I'll have to make a note to myself for next season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.