May 26 - haying commences

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan is off chopping. He put the Ford 8000 on the chopper, turned his hat around and went roaring out of the driveway headed for the rented chunk down on Rt 76. He's been back with two loads, had half his lunch and is off chopping again. We have some friends who are a little younger than we are and farming the same way and I've been sending out "Stan Tenpas Haying Alerts" to them and our SIL, so he knows what's going on as he'll be working here when he isn't teaching school, and to the Coop Extension Dairy/Livestock Educator. Just something goofy that we started at lunch the other day, and now if I don't send out an update, I get emails requesting them. I guess when you're in the middle of running full tilt into the wind, you need a little comic relief!

Anna, Stan dragged a second dead cow off yesterday - three fresh, two dead and one on permanent sick leave and headed for the sale barn as soon as she's able. Makes you wonder what is going on. Stan and the nutritionist had a chat about mineral supplements and they changed the formula some. We're hoping with that and having the cows all out on grass that things will straighen out.

Well, I need to go fix the other half of Stan's lunch and finish putting some plants in the ground.

take good care.

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!