Dragons Blood Stonecrop Sedum

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Does anyone grow this? It is supposed to be very short and I am considering it for the front of a border bed. Please let me know if you have any experience with it.
Terrie
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/scan/fi=products/st=db/sp=results_big/sf=code/se=SEDBS.html

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have it--yes its short and stays that way. When mine flowers they stand above the foliage more than the bluestone photo shows & that adds a little height.

Works well for me--will fill in a space however you like it--and is very full.....no dirt is seen at all. Easy to remove when it grows beyond its space. And like other sedums, will grow from stem cuttings.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Trunnels - mudgirl is right! I have tons of it around slate, through a garden and you don't see any soil. Very seldom do weeds grow through it and it's so easy to thin out and transplant. My husband had it in his first home, long ago, and brought it to his second home. I took it from there and brought it out here and it loves being way out on Long Island. Great little plant - does expand but not invasive.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I have the yellow variety, also very nice. Spreads fast but easy to pull up and looks okay left to its own devices too.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Trunnels--I sent you DG mail on this too..........

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for your responses. Definitely something I have to have. :-)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The link didn't say how tall this plant is. Can someone give me a guess.

I have 2 different types of stonecrops, one gets tall and falls over when it flowers the other is about 12 inches tall and doesn't fall over.

Thanks,

Judy

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Judy, this is a short plant that grows like a mat. It won't fall over, it's just a few inches tall and then the flowers might stick up another inch or 2. from the plant.

Eileen

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Sedum is about the only thing that will grow under my black walnut killer tree and the autumn joy are doing well, so I just ordered 6 of the Dragon's Blood....Can't wait!!

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

It doesn't seem to bloom as well in partial shade as it does in sun/mostly sun. Also, mine doesn't look exactly like the Bluestone picture: I wonder if it got more sun, would the blooms be more red?

Thumbnail by mominem
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

That's beautiful, Eileen! I would rather have pink than red. I ended up getting John Creech for the area I originally wanted to fill.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

trunnels - of course I had to go right to "plantfiles" and look at pictures of the John Creech, LOL! Actually the two look somewhat similar, in the pictures. I wonder if I have Dragon's Blood or not? Whatever it is, I like it.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I hope my flowers looks like yours. :-)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I got Dragon's Blood, Voodoo and a 3rd whose name I can't remember but is also in the same general red/maroon color scheme. I put them all along the streetside edge of my front bed at the junction of the fieldstones that define it. They can eventually all be trailing over the rocks and run back into the bed around all the different varieties of sedum there (not ground cover but Clown, Frosty Morn, Matrona, Linda Wyndsor, Black Jack, Variegata... etc..)

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have Frosty Morn, Autumn Joy and Dragon's Blood, could you post pics of your other sedums.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I'll grab some this evening.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a few shots this morning

This is my original Clown. The variegation is very bright and distinct early spring.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Part of the street bed that's getting filled with different sedum.
This is Frosty Morn and Matrona and I forget the name of the yellow/green. Looks close too Clown but the yellow is more pronounced. In fact I've ordered a couple that almost look like Clown. But then flower color can be different as well. Like 'Brilliant' foliage (didn't include a pic) is about the same as Autumn Joy but it blooms a nice lite pink where AJ gets that red/maroon color.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

This is the corner of the street bed and right in the corner is new this year called 'Black Jack'. So far it isn't nearly as dark as the picture when I ordered but it's starting to get dark.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

This is one of the Purple Emperor

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

One of new stonecrops I've put along the street bed to drape over the edge stones. I think this was called red carpet. They're new this year, so still small.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Another new one and I forgot to get the name. They already had bloom heads which I cut off then transplanted to this street bed.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I like them planted side by side. The contrast is nice.

I saw a huge,very thick leaf sedum at a local nursery. I wanted it but it was price at 8.00. It look like the leaves were triple the size of A. Joy.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

If you weren't in a real big hurry.... should've just picked up that piece that accidentally broke off and took it home. A piece breaks off at home and I just go stick it in the dirt somewhere else.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Great sedum pictures! Most sedum does well here, just not the heat lovers. I've started several kinds from seed, and they usually germinate easily. The seed is so small on most that you just have to plant the sifted chaff and have faith the seed is in there!

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow 8ft, fantastic collection, I'm a C&S addict!!!!!! I have over 280 now, LOL, I love all the color changes, beautiful yard, Annie

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't post pictures of another new addition this spring. Samuel Oliphant. In the catalog they had really wild variegation and all leafs looked like some one traced the edge with a red felt tip. They're growing well in the pots and definitely different than anything I have but not the wild variegation I saw in the mags.

Oh Annie - I just heard about supposedly agaves and a echinorhinocerous or whatever BARREL CACTUS! :) that are supposed to be hardy. Well I ordered them and finally potted them up for the time being. They're small. This winter I'll give them protection in the hoophouse I think and see how that goes. I'll post a pic tonight if you're interested.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

I'd like to see a pic of that cactus, 8ft. Where'd you order from?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

High Country Gardens. They're small but cute. I'll post a pic in the morning before I leave.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2005 11:31 AM

8ft, of course I want a pic!!!! Your garden is so nice,
Annie

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

rats! digi-batteries died last night on the last brug shot. I took them out to put on the charger and there they lay on the counter this morning.

This afternoon - promise!!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's my new agave and a little barrel echno whatever. :)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

Aww, they're so cute, and hardy to zone 5! Neat.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I've been out of town for a week and just now checking in. Blaine, your sedum garden is beautiful. I love the Clown!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks! If you see any... anywhere... just break a couple pieces off then stick them in the ground at home. Just as easy as that. No coddling or protecting or providing humidity.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I was thinning a groundcover sedum, tossed some pieces on the sidewalk. It's been really rainy here, over the weekend I discovered they are growing tiny little hair roots and sticking to the sidewalk!

They are so so easy to grow it's incredible, you can water or forget them, most will survive a lot of neglect!!!!
Annie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.