scarlet bean runner

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This is the first year I have grown this. Interesting.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My hummers love mine....as do many varieties of butterflies. Enjoy! :-)

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Something loves to eat mine... errrrrrrrrrr

Viv

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

My kindergartener brought home one of these in a plastic cup, so of course it had to go in the garden. Not sure what we'll do with the beans if it produces any, but it does have nice brilliant red blossoms that my son can proudly show off.

Last year one of them brought home a sunflower...

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Save the seeds to plant and share for next year.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

None of my seeds germinated first time around. Is it too late for me to try again> Are these fast growers?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It's not to late to replant....these grow nice and fast once they get going.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Cool. I think I will direct sow them this time - they are really pretty. Do they need full sun?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine prefer direct sun....they wilt easily in heat, so be your own judge as your climate is a bit different than mine :-)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

No prob - we'll plant a few here, a few there...LOL! Someone gave me some Painted Lady's - they sound simply lovely!

Thanks for the info!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How tall do these grow? I have a few seeds from a trade last year.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have a feeling that they are like hyacinth bean and can get pretty big.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Excerpt from Planet Natural:

"One of the oldest runner beans now in existence. First described in 1750 and grown in America since at least 1800. Good for use as both snaps and green shells, and is often used in place of limas in cooler climates. Large plants grow 12-15' tall and are highly ornamental with their numerous scarlet flowers and attractive foliage. Large seeds are beautifully mottled with violet, black and deep shades of red. Pole habit. (68 days)"

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I grew this last year and it was very pretty. Started some this year and a surprise frost killed them. I don't think you can buy the seed so if someone saves some I would like to have them at least for next year.

I have other seeds to offer if someone wants to do a trade . . . just email me.

Thanks

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

You bet. Keep me in mind.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

TLChef, I have a few that I can send to you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.