THE HEAT HAS HIT

Grants Pass, OR

MY MATERS HAVE GONE LIMP WITH 3 DAYS OF OVER 85 WEATHER HERE IN OR. BUT AM HAPPY TO SAY MY E BOX TOMATER IS STANDING PROUD. i GUESS I MAY HAVE TO BUILD MORE FOR SOME NEW BIES THAT HAVE BEEN OUT SIDE IN 4X4,S GROWING LIKE MAD and WILL BE READY FOR THE DIRT SOON . I CANT HARDLEY WAIT TO START EATING THEM.

Thumbnail by RANCHHAND
Grants Pass, OR

OPPS ITS SIDE WAYS AHA THEY WILL STILL TASTE GOOD NEED TO EDIT THEM???

Thumbnail by RANCHHAND
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Tomatoes here in central MO often go limp in the afternoon heat but revive when the sun goes down and get get some water on the roots. I have sometimes used the oscillating sprinkler to water the plants in the heat of the day with good results.

Grants Pass, OR

I THANK U FOR THAT I WAS A LITTLE UP SET. ITS A NEW BED HAD NOT LET SET NORE DID I FLOOD IT. WE FLOODED IT YESTERDAY DAY &WILL BE PUTING MISTERS IN ASAP AS THE HEAT HERE IN OREGON MADE ME NUTS LAST YEAR 70% SHADE CLOTH WILL BE MY NEXT MOVE. THANKS AGAIN lee
PS THE TOMATOS ARE UNDER COVER WRONG PIC ONE ANT NUEF SO WE IS BUILDING ANOTHER , BED THAT IS

This message was edited May 26, 2005 6:10 PM

Thumbnail by RANCHHAND
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

It is important not to give tomatoes TOO much water to revive them from wilting. If they get water faster than they can use it, the fruits will often split from the pressure. Keeping the roots cooler by about 10 degrees with a good mulch will help prevent wilting and slow evaporation.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Correct Yuska! BUT, you need to remember that tomatoes need a consistent supply of water. If they get too much after being dry, they will split and crack, but what a lot of people don't know is if they are kept a little too moist and then dry out they will do the same. As I've said in previous forums healthy chilies and tomatoes will wilt in the heat of the day, just as we do,(at least I know I do). I believe in night watering,(a good soaking), when needed . When watering in midday you will lose much to evaporation, and wetting the plants with misters and sprinklers can only help spread fungal diseases. Also, again as Yuska said, MULCH. Good luck!

Grants Pass, OR

THANKS UALL THAT EXPLAINS WHAT WAS GOING ON IN MY GARDEN LAST YEAR. MY FIRST GARDEN IN OVER 40 YEARS. MULCH IS ON ITS WAY.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.